VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jackie M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie M.
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:08:22 -0800
I use JAWS, and I have had no problems with upgrading from Windows XP SP1 to
Windows XP SP2.  That said, however, I have also heard that people upgrading
from Windows 98 and Windows ME have had problems upgrading to Windows XP.
Kim Komando, the "computer guru" who runs a computer talk show, recommends
against upgrading from earlier versions of Windows.  She says that older
computers cannot handle the large space and memory demands of Windows XP,
that upgrades from those older versions are not stable, and will crash your
machine often, etc.  She recommends that people using especially Windows 98
probably need to get a new computer with Windows XP already installed, or at
minimum need to uninstall 98 and start with a full version of Windows XP
(not the upgrade version).  On her advice, I decided not to try to upgrade
my Windows ME computer.

You can visit her website at www.komando.com.  It's a nice resource.  I get
her free weekly newsletter and learn a lot.

- Jackie McCraw