From:
Tad Glines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:55:32 -0400
> Ashley Moran wrote:
>
> Can I do a quick straw poll?  I just read NeanderThin (6 months overdue
> I think!) and the thing that caught my eye most was the idea that it is
> normal to be extremely hungry eating paleo.  I've had a hard time
> feeling full since I started eating paleo.  Creamed coconut does it for
> me, and cooked liver has a definite "stop".  I think I had mince once
> that was very filling.

Ashley,

I have the same body type as you. When I first went paleo I made a clean
break from all processed foods as well as most sources of carbs. I limited
myself one apple per day and one 26oz jar of tomato sauce per 2lbs of ground
beef.

For about two weeks after the switch I found myself craving ice cream and
other sweets even though I had not been eating these high sugar items before
the switch. After the two weeks these cravings subsided.

As I understand it, when switching from a high carb to a low carb diet it
takes the body a while to make the transition. I found that once the switch
was complete I was able go longer without food before feeling hungry.

I concur with Pal H's suggestion. Limit your carb significantly and wait out
the carb hunger. If creamed coconut and mince eliminate your hunger then eat
more of those foods. Hunger is your bodies primary way of saying "I'm low on
fuel". The creamed coconut and mince are high in fat and fat is a key source
of energy "Fuel".

On a side note: I find that I feel better when I limit my carb intake. The
symptoms that are most likely to show up when I eat too many carbs are
headaches, muscle tension, jitters and depression.

I didn't notice this difference between high carb and low carb until I
recently stoped eating paleo/low carb due to travel. Once I get back to
paleo it will take me at least 3 months before I feel completely normal
again.

-Tad