ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:04:11 -0500
Hi guys,  well, I'm taking  intro to philosophy, we are reading Plato's Myth
Of the Cave
any of you philosophically blessed!
it's really an interesting story sort of, all about  people who are kept in
a cave, and they can only look in front of them, they see shadows, and hear
voices, and think that these things are real, when in actuality they are
only from the people who come in to the cave, there are people who bring
statues of animals and walk by, and their shadows are shown on the walls.
Now, one day, one of the prisoners is  let loose from the chains that keep
him from turning his head, he sees light, which hurts his eyes.
Oh, forgot! there is a fire behind the prisoners,  the prisoner tries to
turn back towards the darkness, but  he is forced to go forward until he is
outside of the cave and in the bright sunshine! this hurts his eyes even
more, at first he can only see reflections in water, but gradually grow used
to the sun.
Then what would happen if he were put back in to the cave after seeing
reality,
I thought that perhaps this could be talking of beliefs as well, a comentary
I read said Plato was talking about education, but I thought it could be
talking about beliefs, if for example one believed that certain people were
bad, it would be hard convince him otherwise, and once convinced,  how could
you put him back in an oppressive system?
Well, just thought I'd give you all a philosophical moment,
what do you think?

Rhonda