C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:55:18 -0600
Below are some the components of the policy that seem, to me, to be
fiscally irresponsible, as well as limiting the ability of people with
disabilities to be fully integrated into their communities..  If you
feel so inclined, I encourage you to write (or preferably call) your
member of Congress about this as soon as possible.

I'll expand below each point on why I feel that it's bad fiscal policy
as well as bad policy to improve independence for people with
disabilities.

- Incapable of upgrade to expandable controller

Many people who use power wheelchairs have progressive disabilities, and
if a power chair is incapable of upgrade in this fashion, it will
necessitate purchase of an entire new chair

- Incapable of upgrade to alternative control devices

Same as above

- Width - less than or equal to 24 inches

I see the reasoning (standard doorway widths) - but where does that
leave bariatric population?

- Minimum Top End Speed - 3 MPH

Reinforces the "in the home" restriction, and therefore limits the
ability of people with disabilities to work or to otherwise be active or
present in the community.

- Minimum Range - 5 miles

Same as above

- Minimum Obstacle Climb - 20 mm

20 mm is about two thirds of an inch - since many power wheelchairs will
be built to this minimum, rather than a greater "ground clearance," many
thresholds _in homes_ will be insurmountable barriers

- Dynamic Stability Incline - 6 degrees

Many ramps do not have adequate "flat space" at the top or the bottom to
permit opening a door without turning on the ramp.  Since ANSI and ADAAG
code for ramps is 1:12, or 8.33%, many power wheelchairs covered under
Group 1 Power Wheelchair codes (KO813-KO816) would be at risk of
instability, and possible injury to the occupant.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950