C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:46:40 EST
In a message dated 3/14/2006 1:56:09 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
> Baclofen itself doesn't negatively impact intellect, although depending
> on the degree of spasticity and/or dystonia a person has, and the dosage
> of oral Baclofen required to control that spasticity/dystonia, it can
> cause lethargy/drowsiness.  That's why Janet and her neurologist decided
> to go with the pump, because it makes it possible to introduce the drug
> directly into the spinal fluid, where it acts directly, without nearly
> as many side effects. =20

Kendall,
I have to disagree with you here.  Ryan took oral Baclofen for a short time,
and he complained very pitifully: "I can't think."
My understanding of the pump is that the dosage of Baclofen administered into
the spine can be reduced to a minuscule quantity, compared to the oral
medication, with much greater positive effects because the medicine goes straight
where it is needed without having to cross the blood-brain barrier.
I'm so glad to hear this is working out well for Janet!
Continued success,
Wanda