Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 06:19:27 -0500
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:59, Wally Day wrote:

>Keith, is your climate such that you could plant the tomato seeds directly
>in the ground? Or did you start yours indoors?

I did both and each worked with equal vigour.

>And, from what you know/have seen of these tomatoes, *can* they be started
>indoors and then transplanted into the garden?

Sure can.  I used a heated seedling tray in the garage, but I'm sure I could have done it in the
house.  We had late frosts this year, so I planted the seeds in the garden quite late.  Now the
plants are indistinguishable.  Growing like Jack's beanstalk! The only thing different in the way I
grow vegetables from the way many others do it is that I mulch extensively: my entire garden is
under mulch - there is nothing growing in bare soil.  This is pretty much the paleo way.

>Do you think they would do better in tomato cages? Or, perhaps a "trellis"
>type of set-up?

Next year I'll let a few run riot.  Fortunately I have a largish garden.  They are too bushy for a
tomato cage.  A trellis might be OK.  But I'll grow a few against a single stake.