From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:24:42 -0800

I must respectfully disagree with some of the conclusions in the post below
regarding topical (skin) reactions to wheat products/gluten. I am not a
"sensitive" celiac nor do I have DH - but I have begun to develop red,
irritated rashes whenever my skin comes in contact with wheat germ oil. And I
am not alone; in the past 8 weeks I have met or had e-mail contact with at
least a dozen other celiacs with similar reactions. Our experience is that it
is possible to react to wheat products *without* ingesting them.

I spoke to my allergist, who is very knowledgeable about celiac, about these
reactions, and his thought is that the skin, which is a very reactive organ,
can also develop sensitivity to wheat. This is not yet a scientifically tested
theory, and he wouldn't even speculate if topical reactions could have any
connections to damage to the villi.

I would just suggest that people who choose to use skin or hair care products
containing any wheat or barley (some Clinique products have barley in them)
pay careful attention to their skin until they are sure they're not reacting
to those ingredients. If you do have unexplained skin irritation, recheck the
ingredients of the products you are using.

Maureen