From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 01:53:44 -0400
This is more like a three year old computer than 5 years, so you're in
pretty good shape.
You should be able to get complete details of your system at the Gateway
site by entering the serial number.
Memory upgrades are easy at www.crucial.com. Just enter your correct
model number and they will tell you what you need. If you want 1 GB,
you'll have to discard and replace your existng RAM as you only have two
slots. Depending on what you do with this computer, you may find that
512 MB (One additional 256 MB stick) is sufficient.
The CD-RW is kind of slow (2X, 4X, 10x).  I've had good luck with TDK
and Sony. I tend to look for what's on sale locally.
DVD burners have become affordable recently also.
I prefer Nero, so you might want to look for a burner bundled with Nero.
It sounds as though you need a USB hub. A hub would plug into your
existing port and provide additional ports. You should probably get a
powered hub, as USB devices tend to start failing if the bus has too
many devices attached. There's an example here:
http://www.usb-port.com/bf404.html

Lynn Kucera wrote:

> [...]

I have a Gateway S 4000 series desktop and I would like to start upgrading
the hardware on it since its getting on five years old. I plan to keep the
original hd that came with the computer size is 30 GB I have already added a
Maxtor One Touch 300 GB external hd and I would like to add another Maxtor
connected to the first one which is connected to the processor thru a USB
port, I don't want to have to have the second one connected thru my last USB
port so I'm wondering if you could just hook it up to the first one. I want
to add 1 GB ram but I'm not sure just what type of ram I have and I want to
upgrade my CDRW this is the original CDRW that came with the computer NEC
NR-7900A what ever that means, I'm not interested in upgrading the DVD
player since I very rarely use it, but the CDRW I use quite a bit, software
for it is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. So what do you all think would be the way
to go on hardware?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>