From:
Eric LoVullo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2005 13:16:23 -0700
What is the obsession of this list with these so called foreign proteins.  I know Ray's belief of why his diet works rely on them but by definition any protein not produced by your own body is foreign.  Your genetic profile is not any others(excusing newborn twins).  If you were a cannibal quite a few proteins would still be foreign.  Oh and the fact that you have more prokaryotes(making lots of protein)  living on you then human cells should invalidate that foreign proteins are bad or evil, or unhealthy etc.

It seems also that when foreign proteins are brought up it invariably comes down to gluten or casein.  Why these two are special I don't know;  I do know they cause problems in some people.  I'm not sure these proteins cause as many problems as purported(everything from depression, schizophrenia, ADD, ADHD, arthritis, seasonal allergies etc) but they certainly are not healthy in large amounts(or any if allergic in some fashion).  Also atleast gluten is cooked so there really isn't any argument about raw vs cooked on this one.(though in reality since gluten is a conglomerate of different proteins you could fractionate them and find the true offenders of the family, and make arguments that the gluten you obtain from so and so grain doesn't contain this fraction)

Anyways my point is the use of the words "foreign protein" mean nothing.  Allergenic proteins or something to that extent would make much more sense.

Eric