C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 06:39:13 -0400
I've tried Kabuntu (a KDE-specific version of Ubuntu) on my old laptop which
uses Debian packages and liked it except for one thing - there is no root;
you set yourself up as 'Super User' and do all admin task with 'su -'.  The
only problem with this approach is that there are still a few things that are
more easly done as root and so I found it a bit limiting.  However it's the
perfect Linux distro for Linux newbies.

My sister has an old laptop on which I installed Mephis but she only uses it
when she's feeling adventuresome. ;) (this was before Kabuntu came out).

Personally I use Fedora Core 4 on my desktop and test distros on my old
laptop.   I prefer Fedora because the update cycles are relatively frequent,
yet it's very stable.   And it's an offshoot of an 'home product' -- Red Hat,
which is based in my home state of North Carolina.  :)

Kat