C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:05:10 -0400
What gets me is that many conservative Christians (which describes ME in
only in basic theology) feel that the US should be/was a theocracy.  If they
would only read the teachings of the individual they purport to
follow--Jesus--they would understand that the biblical theocracy only went
as far as Israel (ex. Mt 22:15-22, the entire chapter of Acts 28).

In the New Testament, the church is not expected to function as a nation
state. On the contrary, the program is clearly different as witnessed by the
call to submit to, and obey the Roman government--one of the most godless
and brutal governments in history. (Rom. 13:1) The New Testament is devoid
of any call to take over society or to run society God's way. Unfortunately,
many Bible interpreters continue to read the Covenantal promises and
warnings addressed to Israel in the Old Testament as though they apply
either to the church, or to the United States (or other countries).

A very common example of this confusion is the often quoted passage in 2
Chronicles 7:13 "If I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or if I
command the locust to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among My
people, and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray,
and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from
heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." It is a mistake
to apply this passage to the United States? It refers to the
cursing/blessing section in the book of Deuteronomy. The people who are
called by God's name are Israel. There is in fact no such promise extended
to other countries.

One qualification is needed on this point. In the ancient world, there was
no opportunity to vote on government issues or candidates. We do not know
what God would have said if there was. Probably, a good ethical case can be
made for Christian activism in politics as long as it falls short of
attempts to establish a Christian state.

History is full of examples of catastrophic results when the church has
concluded that it is to run the state. A nation state often has to operate
in the area of compulsion, punishment and even war. All of these things are
inappropriate for the church. The church needs to keep crystal clear
loyalties, excluding any non-biblical insertion into Christian doctrine.

Manipulators use values similar or even identical to those in the Bible to
get Christians to back their agendas. For instance, no two themes are more
universal in world religions than the sanctity of the family and the
sacredness of the given cultural-national heritage. Oriental religion often
actually worships parents and ancestors. Islam views the state as expressly
a religious entity. Most oral religions are one and the same as the
government of the tribe. This has tended to be true of Christianity as well
in Europe. The medieval church was convinced that the state was to operate
under the spiritual authority of the church.

Linking the universal appeal of blood and soil values with patriotic values
and religion leads to the formation of a civil religion which is sometimes
only nominally Christian. For instance, the implication of a prominent
evangelical leading whole football stadiums in prayer before games is clear-
-all or most of those present must be Christians. It is easy to see why
people begin to believe that Christianity is synonymous with American
citizenship or church membership.

This nominal Christianity is one of the most deadly threats to real
Christianity for two reasons. In the first place, it causes people to
believe that they are Christians when they are not, and secondly, it
misrepresents Christianity to the secular world. Instead of seeing real
vibrant spiritual living on the part of the church, society sees a
Christianity that is plagued by confusion and mediocrity.

Stepping, sweating, off the soapbox pulpit.  Anybody got any snakes I can
handle?  I hear that snake venom is good for spasms...wait a minute, never
mind, that's honeybees, not snakes.

Kyle