From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 21:26:25 -0600
Eric LoVullo wrote:

>2.  Available locally/seasonally doesn't follow any true definition of paleolithic nutrition.  Just because I might live in the tropics does that mean I should eat tropical fruits year round?

I think there is a mismatch here.  If you took a paleo person ahead in
time and plopped them
down in the supermarket, they would choose fatty grain-fed meat, veggies
and fruits from all
over the world, and a ton of starch and sugar.  Oh boy!  And they would
get hardening of the
arteries, cancer, diabetes, and the whole nine yards as time went on.
Look at what has happened
to the American Indian, just a few generations away from paleo food into
supermarket food:
diabetes rate is over 50% in some tribes.

But if you or I, somehow, were put back
into paleo times, you can bet your bottom dollar we would not be eating
grain-fed meat, canned
vegetables, or tropical fruits outside the tropics. And absolutely 100%
of the foods would be organic,
since artificial pesticides and herbicides hadn't been invented yet.
Many of us on this list
believe the human body has evolved to have the best health on the
natural foods available
before the agricultural revolution, and in particular before the
supermarket.

>And as for milk well that is a concession that you take.  My concessions are vegetables and fruits(and obviously the teas I drink).  As for physiology there is no reason not to eat any food including twinkies and hohos and cokes and anything else that lives in the middle of the supermarket.  That is one of the reasons why Voegtlin's digestive diet C includes rice, potatoes and toast(he found no problems including them in patients who remained on his diet A for three months).

Really, if Twinkies are the natural food of humans, why are so many sick
with metabolic disorders?
Why so much obesity, even among children?  Rice, potatoes and toast are
not paleo, but they
are not twinkies either.  Show me a diabetic who regained his/her health
on a diet of coca colas, candy,
twinkies, cookies, and chips.

Well, each to their own taste.....

    Lynnet