From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 11:53:51 -0600
>>I doubt 10-15 years ago you could find
>1 in 10 doctors who did not believe that in their very soul. Yet, currently
>many, if not most, of those same doctors are questioning what they once
>believed was rock-solid.

In the 1980's there was much controversy regarding cholesterol and heart
disease and the result was a great deal of pressure being placed on doctors
to get on board with the NHBLI heart disease education plan.  At some point
the AHA, CDC, and AMA all came on board but they all had an agenda that
would be furthered by supporting the cholesterol myth.  Doctors were given
incentives to get on board and not rock the boat but that does not mean that
they did not question the effectiveness or efficacy of their prescriptions.
They had something to gain by going along with the status quo that was being
established and group dynamics begun to factor into the equation.  However,
individually doctors are educated and critical thinkers for the most part
and it is unlikely that they as a whole ever fully accepted the lipid
hypothesis.