C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:38:26 -0700
Hi Gang,

I spent the day yesterday in Sacramento, the developmental disability
groups were there to rally, and to speak about the issues pertinent to us
that the budget subcommittee was hearing testimony on yesterday.  I went up
to say my 2 cents worth. I said it is wrong to balance the budget on the
poor, the elderly and people with disabilities, (I know our gov. has
forfeited his salary, but I have not heard that our legislators are taking
a pay cut!) that our workers deserve more than minimum wages and they
deserve health benefits. and that the standardization of IPP's (individual
program plans) is bad because each person is a unique individual therefore
some need more hours and others need less, and I said it's a step
backwards.

I met a young man who is the father of a beautiful four year old who was
born with 60 percent of her brain missing, she has cp, retardation,
epilepsy, and blindness... I can't imagine the pain that young man and his
wife must have felt...my heart broke for them. (MY dad still feels bad
about my cp)  But in looking at him and he holding up the photo of his
child, it gave me more energy to fight for us all.  And her spirit is
beautiful, so I know she will be somebody special when she gets older.

Anyway, here's something we can do about the presidential election.

 Please read this important message from Paul Longmore.  The disablity
> community has much at stake in the next presidential election.
>
> If you can, please make a contribution through the channels Paul
describes.
> Every contribution will be counted as a support vote from the disability
> civil rights community.  So, it doesn't make any difference how much the
> contribution is, just that one is made.
> HolLynn

We