AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
PETER W VAKUNTA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:55:49 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Devine, I read your piece with great attention.Religious abuse is a
fact of life. islamic leaders, christian leaders, hindu leaders,
buddhist leaders, animaist leaders have at one point or another preyed
on the gullibility of neophtes to serve their pecuniary and egotistic
ends. Having said that,I want to underscore the point that we should
steer clear of dumping bonfide religious worship and charlantism in the
same mold.That would be a terrible mistake to make.You seem to be
mixing up Charismatic  christians(BORN AGAINS)and catholics.I am a
practicing, reborn by virtue of baptism and genuine acceptance of
Christ as my savior. That does not make me a charismatic christian. We
should take time to draw the fine line. This is what you said"

"The Orthodox Churches-Catholic,Methodist etc.Have also started doing
it, because they have been losing their congregation in droves to these
Healing Churches. They call it Charismatic.And its all for money."

As regards your rhetorical question,as to whether you should go to
church at all.That, brother,is your cup of tea. How you drink it is
your business. If you believe in redemption. If you believe that there
is life after death and that each one of us will be called upon to give
an account of the life you lived here on earth, then you should not
backslide.

I am not an evangelist. This is an intellectual forum and not a church
pulpit.

This is what you said"

"Indeed that has made me to rethink whether it is even necessary to go
to the church at all. I'd rather I stay in my house and pray to my God.

God bless.

PETER W.VAKUNTA
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND ITALIAN
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
602 VAN HISE HALL
1220 LINDEN DRIVE
MADISON WI 53706-1525
U.S.A
Office  608 262 4067
Home    608 422 6089
Cell    608 381 0407

"The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of the wise man is
in his heart."
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN