C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:10:05 +0100
7bit
From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
On Monday 20 Jun 2005 16:54, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Actually it's a 'flavour' of Linux - what comes up on your screen when you
> boot?  It should tell which Linux you're using on your pc.
>
> Gnome and KDE are X Windows desktops - like Windows XP, except you can run
> either one or the other or both (which I do) on one machine. :)  You can
> also run everything from the command line if you so choose, which is not a
> choice available to a Windows user.
>
> Kat

'Distro' is short for 'distribution'. Slackware (which you used to have) was a
distribution (distro) of Linux.

Linux is really only the kernel or Operating System, to make the computer do
anything useful you need loads of other bits, so individuals, clubs, or
companies bundle these 'bits' up into a Linux Distribution - and then give it
a really silly name!!

Here's just the first 100!!!

Ubuntu
Mandriva