From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:25:30 -0800

Hi All--

Thanks so much to all of you who took time to tell me what you used as a GF antacid! I meant to mention that I was interested in over-the-counter antacids (I don't have insurance), but both prescription and OTC is good. This is what came in:

Rolaids was the hands-down winner - 7
Gaviscon liquid (in Canada) - 1
Sam's Brand, Member's Mark, of zantac - 1
Pepto bismol - 2
Papaya enzyme - 3
Mylanta - 1
Gas-X with Maalox (softgels) - 1
Axid - 1
Prevacid - 2
Ginger root capsules or teas - 1
Nexium - 1
Protonix - 3
Prilosec (prescription) - 1
Titralac - 1 (I looked this up- if I interpreted the information correctly, it is calcium carbonate)
One person suggested I eat more alkaline foods - veggies, nuts, grains like quinoa, etc.
One person suggested I might buy "A Guide Through the Medicine Cabinet"

As most of us who have been diagnosed for a while know, two calls to the same company can result in two different answers to the same question. The manufacturers of Mylanta and prescription Prilosec could not guarantee that those preparations were GF when I called yesterday. I interpret that to mean that they might be GF, but the company isn't going to go out on a limb.

Thanks, again, to all who replied. Guess I have more choices than I could think of on my own. See how valuable you all are?!!

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama

Words are things; and a small drop of ink
Falling like dew upon a thought, produces
That which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.
-Lord Byron, (1788-1824)