Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:25:18 -0800

Good summary and very well done. . . .  However, it sounds as if the author
misunderstood that I found my food allergies by skin prick testing.  I was
not tested by skin prick test (which I agree is usually not accurate for
detecting food allergies).  I was tested by ELISA blood testing.  ELISA
methods (there are several variations) are the most reliable & accurate for
food allergy testing, but is not yet "officially" recognized by the FDA so
most insurance companies still don't reimburse for it.  A pity, because it
can be very helpful in all forms of gastrointestinal distress (IBS, crohns,
colitis, celiac, eosinophilic gastroenteritis, etc).  In my case it helped
reverse the death spiral I was trapped in 3 1/2 years ago.

My multiple food allergies had my whole GI track, from the mouth down,
inflammed so that anything I consumed other than water caused an instant
reaction with itchy hives usually on my left arm, but often appearing on my
ears & legs as well.  This happens because an inflammed gut is a leaky gut.
When gut tissue is inflammed, it loses it ability to filter out large
undigested molecules.  These large undigested molecules passed into the
blood stream triggering a variety of allergic responses.

Now that my gut has healed, I can eat just about anything I want in
moderation (except gluten, of course) without reaction.  I maintain my gut
health with stomach acid/digestive enzyme replacement and goat milk kefir.
(Thorne Bio-Gest is the brand of stomach acid/digestive enzyme replacement I
prefer, but there are many on the market.)  I will likely require this my
whole life since autoimmune diseases (pernicious anemia & celiac) seem to
have have permanently damaged the cells in my stomach that produce stomach
acid.  Adequate stomach acid is essential for preventing the development of
food allergies.  ~Valerie in Tacoma