From:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carolyn Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:44:55 -0700

RE: " Several weeks ago, I asked the list if anyone recalled a post to
this list a few years ago regarding difficulties some celiacs
experienced with beans/legumes/bean flours?"

If you are familiar with Ayurveda then you know that the Vata (a
particular body type) gut cannot tolerate beans with the exception of a
couple of beans in moderation.  If you read the blood type books and are
blood type O, you will know that kidney beans are a bean that should be
avoided.(just another reference that agrees with your observation)  I
can't tolerate beans, but I can eat a few frozen black-eyed peas and/or
frozen/fresh lima beans--not dried.  If you eat any kind of bean, eat it
as early in the day as you can so you can follow it up with water.
Beans are very drying to the digestive tract; if I eat them at night, I
wake up all night long with dry mouth...beans are also very acid
producing.

RE:  Ayurveda..to eliminate gas in beans, add:  Asafetida(?) or black
pepper or cardamom or cumin or ginger.  Beans are easier to digest if
eaten with just veggies.  Have you tried Beano?  It doesn't work for me.

RE:  Ayurvada, vata body type (the body type that has the least
tolerance for a variety of foods)..one book (info varies slightly from
book to book) says Vatas can eat the following legumes in moderation:
aduki beans, black lentils, mung beans, red lentils, soy cheese, soy
milk (liquid) tepery (?) beans, tofu, tur dal.  If you try the aduki
beans, be sure to soak them overnight and discard the soaking water and
rinse the beans before cooking them in fresh water. After the beans are
cooked, you might want to rinse out the cooking liquid and throw a few
of the beans in a salad, stir fry etc-while you may not be getting many
nutrients, you may get less of a reaction-as usual trial and error will
tell you whether to can sneak in a few beans without upsetting your
digestive tract. Always try to eat a few beans with other foods that
contain a lot of moisture/liquid---high water content veggies.   You can
probably find aduki beans in the health food store.

 I have to forget bean flour; it is extremely acid producing and drying
to my digestive tract.the reaction is worse than the reaction I get from
eating wheat.  All the alternative flours are so heavy and drying to my
already dry digestive tract-yuk!