From:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teresa Van Nuland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:34:06 -0600

Hi everyone.

With regard to my poll asking if any of you were diagnosed with high cholesterol *prior* to your diagnosis with CD, the overwhelming response is "YES, this is entirely possible."

Of the 25+ responses that I received, 20+ remarked that they had high cholesterol before being diagnosed with CD, 2 showed low cholesterol, and 2 showed normal levels of cholesterol prior to CD. ***Please note that this relatively small number of people with "low and normal cholesterol" results is expected since my posting requested responses specifically from those people having high levels.***

My question was based on information that I recently read in a copy of Baker's guide to medical diagnosis, which stated in the "cholesterol" section that high cholesterol has historically been used by physicians to rule out celiac disease.  In contrast, the information from you all seems to support the idea that high cholesterol certainly does NOT rule out celiac disease. Thank you for your interesting and helpful input.

Kind regards,
Teresa