Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:47:04 EST
<<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your
situation.>>

Thanks to all of you - time to start baking cornbread!

Cornbread (Wayne's)

2 cups cornmeal (I use 1 c yellow and 1 c white) stone ground if available.
1 cup Masa Harina  (the corn flour used for tortillas)
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk, plus 2 tbs. vinegar)
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1/3 cup  corn oil
1 tbs. sugar
2 tbs.  butter

Mix together eggs and milk in a medium-sized mixing bowl.  In a
separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and cut in oil with a pastry
blender, stir into egg mixture.  Put butter in a 10 in cast iron skillet
and heat in oven.   Pour batter into hot skillet.  (Batter should sizzle
when poured into skillet)
Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes turn and bake 20 minutes more or
til done.
++++++++++++

Hi Phyllis, mine is 2 eggs, 2 cups buttermilk, 2 cups cornmeal, 1 tsp salt
and 1 tsp soda. Bake in hot cast iron skillet for about 20 minutes. No oil
except for the 2 Tbsp you put into the skillet when you put it in the oven
to get it hot. No flour needed. This is Jim's mom's old time country
cornbread.  Happy Thanksgiving.  Ann
+++++++

(Mom's) Cornbread

Preheat oven to 475. While preheating, put cast iron skillet in oven, with a
scant TBS corn, safflower or canola oil in bottom.

6 heaping soup spoons (approx 1 cup) of corn meal/flour (or 4 spoons of meal
and 2 of corn starch)
1 rounded tsp (measuring tsp) baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup powdered milk (or powdered buttermilk)
1 egg

Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl.  Wait until oven is preheated (or at
450) before continuing.

Mix enough water into dry ingredients to get to a "pancake batter"
consistency (thinner than waffles, but not runny). Add one egg and beat well
(batter gets a little volume to it - use a hand mixer if your arms aren't up
to the job). Pour into the hot skillet, return to oven and bake about 10 -14
minutes (until browned on top and at the edges). If you poke the top, it
should not be "jiggly", but firm.

Remove from oven, let cool slightly in pan, then cut and serve.  If taking
somewhere else for dinner, leave in pan, wrap in towels to transport (cast
iron will keep it hot for some time).  Serve with lots of fresh butter,
honey and a glass of cold buttermilk

Notes:

Corn flour can be ground with an electric meal (I use popcorn) or purchased
at most mexican markets.

Use a finely ground corn meal (I grind my own, same consistency as a fine
flour). You can use all cornmeal, but it can be a little coarse --
cornstarch lightens the resulting bread.

The above recipe is cooked in a small (6") cast iron skillet and makes 4
pieces (increase proportionately for a medium or large skillet - about 8 and
11 spoonsfulls of flour, respectively and increase eggs by one for each
increase in size)

Triple everything for "big" pan (do not mult by 4, gets too thick, doesn't
cook in center of bread).

If you use real buttermilk instead of the powdered plus water -- try to get
one without gums added, otherwise the batter is difficult to get to the
right consistency. Regular milk could also be used. Haven't tried this with
any milk or egg substitutes, so don't know if it would work. I do know if
you make it with masa flour and a gum thickened buttermilk, it gets a very
"cakey" consistency.
------
>From Mom:

I don't really have a cornbread recipe as such.  I combine both cornmeal and
flour with dry powdered milk and enough water to make a  batter about like
pancakes, and then beat in an egg.   I use a soup spoon to measure,  For a
medium sized skillet, I use about 5 very heaping spoonsful of meal and 3
very heaping spoonsful of flour (You could use all cornmeal).  For my little
skillet I use about 5 spoonsful total and about 10 or 11 for the large
skillet.  You just have to play with it a little to see how thick you want
your bread.  It is hard to mess up.  I used to use self-rising flour and
meal so leavening was not a problem.  Now I try to guess on the amount and
add baking powder and salt.  I usually add 1 rounded tsp baking powder and
1/4 tsp salt to small skillet, 2 rounded tsp baking powder  and 1/2 tsp salt
to middle size, or  3 rounded tsp baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt to large.
I think the recommended amount is 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt
to 1 cup flour or meal.  For the powdered milk, I just pour some in dry into
the other dry ingredients. You could also use milk from a bottle, but it is
harder for me to get it right.    I probably add 1/3 cup to the middle size.
I don't measure, so I'm not sure.  If you want to use butter milk, you need
to add a little bit of baking soda to dry ingredients-- probably 1/2 tsp to
middle-size.  I think that buttermilk batters look thicker than they really
are and are harder to make come out right.  When I use buttermilk (from a
bottle), I try to keep the batter a little thicker than normal.   For the
water, I slowly add running tap water until the thickness looks right.

+++++
Cornbread
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. sour cream
1 c. corn
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. shredded Cheddar

Mix together all ingredients except Cheddar. Put half of mixture into a
greased 9" square pan. Sprinkle with cheese and cover with remaining
mixture. Bake
at 375 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes.

+++++++

Corn Bread
makes two loaves:

2 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2/3 cup sugar
3 tsp xanthan
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups milk
2/3 cup oil

Combine all ingredients, beat in mixer on low til blended.  Pour into 2 loaf
pans, greased.
Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Or makes 12 big muffins at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

+++++
Basic Cornbread
1 egg
1 1/3 c. milk OR 1 3/4 c. buttermilk (better)
1/4 c. oil
2 c. corn meal
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
Heat oven to 450. Grease 9 inch skilolet or pan, put in oven to heat up.
Combine all ingred. Put in HOT skillet. Bake 20-25 min.

Mexican Cornbread (very good)
2 eggs
1c. sour cream
1 can creamed corn (green giant or delmonte are GF last I checked)
2/3 c. oil
1 1/2 cornmeal
3 t. baking powder
1 T. salt (or less)
1 c. cheese
400 for 35 min. in 9X12 or HOT iron skillet
++++

This is our favorite. I found it in a cookbook with the title '100 year old
cornbread,' named for the age of the recipe I presume.  Since no one want to
eat 100 year old bread, I changed the title to fit the prep--Nothing is
easier!