Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:51:16 -0500

Hi all,

Thanks to the 14 nice people who responded to my question about 'up-scale'
restaurants in Boston.
Here is a list of the places they recommended:
Legal Seafoods, Naked Fish, The Living Room, Bambara, Flora's, Grill 23,
McCormick&Smick's, Fireplace, EVOO, Tuscan Grill, 647 Tremont, Spire,
Excelsior, Blue Room, Blue Ginger, Casa Blanca.
Whew!

Here is my trip report:
We stayed at the Residence Inn Tudor Warf, just across the bridge in
Charlestown.  Had a small kitchenette, but I did not end up using it after
all!!

I took my own homemade Banana Bread along for breakfasts.

Day 1 lunch: LEGAL SEAFOODS.  I showed my restaurant card to the server
and she had heard of 'gluten-free', so I was pleased.  I had oysters and
steamed mussels.    dinner: THE ELEPHANT WALK.  Awesome place!  They have
a GF menu that has three sections- items that are gf already, items that
can be made gf with a substitution, and items that can be made gf with 24
hours notice.  They cook Cambodian/French cuisine and it was so
interesting and fun.  I had a salad and a seared tuna dish with two
different spicy sauces.  It's so nice to be able to order off a menu with
no explanations/talking to the kitchen/etc...

Day 2 lunch: UNION STREET OYSTER BAR.  We had been here several times in
the past (pre-gf) and it's so fun to sit at the circular bar and watch the
oysters being shucked.  I had lots of oysters, some clams, and a claw off
my husbands lobster.  When I am not travelling, it take my own cocktail
sauce (hienz ketchup, horseradish, dash of Lea&Perrins), but had only
lemons for this trip.  dinner: SPIRE (at Nine Zero Hotel).  What a
wonderful place this was.  Very up-scale, so they were so accomadating.
The Chef come out to chat with me and he seemed interested in learning
more about the specific restrictions of those on a gluten free diet.  He
knew that wheat, barley and spelt were off-limits, but for some reason,
thought poatoes and rissotto rice had gluten!  I think I set him straight
by explaning that if something is described as "glutinous" it may not have
the specific guten protiens that we are intolerant too.  We talked about
quinoa and millet and I was thrilled that he seemed so interested.  I had
a lovely proscuitto/asparagas/poached egg with truffle/balsamic vinegar
and then seared scallops with sauted veggies and pea puree.  Yum.

Thanks again to all who responded and if you live in Boston I highly
recommend The Elephant Walk (we went to the one at 900 Beacon Street and I
believe there is a second location in Cambridge).

Pam