From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:35:47 -0500

I notice over and over again how many people on this list are trying to
cure their health problems by various ways from the popular self-help
books - or through the medical system.

Me too - I have a shelf-ful of supplements, I have gone around and read a
great deal about nutrition, I looked a lot into "anti-inflammatory diet" -
I decided an Ornish-type diet is probly the most anti-inflammatory.

It's all useful information - but beside the point of the main problem -
which was gluten intolerance, and now that i'm on a gluten-free diet, the
problem is/was the effects of other food allergies i didn't know about.

Many gastroenterologists when they diagnose celiac disease don't seem to
recommend that people go on an elimination diet to find their other food
intolerances/allergies.  Yet that is likely a large part of people's
continuing problems - physical, mental - on a gluten-free diet.

My various visits to doctors have been incredibly useless, the vast
majority of them.  Because what i was suffering from was the effects of
food allergies and intolerance and that just isn't on their radar screen

just for example, many years ago i tore ligaments in my knee in a skiing
accident.  I had a gruesome time trying to get my knee to bend right after
the surgery.  I used to *scream* with pain when i would stretch my knee,
even after taking an opiate to kill the pain.  Now, I think my knee was so
painful to bend because of inflammation from my food allergies &
intolerances.  I have a lot less pain on bending it now.

Medical "help" has been worse than useless, sometimes.  Like the time I
was given CAT scans for mysterious abdominal & back pain, I spent $3000 in
medical costs, and I was suffering from CORN allergy!  Or when I tried to
get over my inhalant allergies with allergy shots and they just made me
sick - the medical staff didn't try to figure out why, they just pressured
me to increase the dose even though i was getting sick.  Now, I think i
was getting sick because the hidden food allergies were already causing
congestion.

Or, the vast amount of time & emotional energy i have put into therapy,
trying to fix physical problems mentally somehow ... with the therapist
endlessly trying to interpret my physical problems as an emotional
symptom, and really aggravating me by doing that - it's sort of
care-giving imperialism.

*Most* celiacs have hidden food allergies/intolerances.  I have info on
how to find them on http://www.lightlink.com/lark/elimination.html and
http://www.lightlink.com/lark/food.html

Some people asked me about corn allergens.  The site I gave has many corn
sources that are trace amounts.  For a less corn-sensitive person, there
is a site http://www.vishniac.com/ephraim/corn.html

Laura