Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Sherri Castle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:04:29 EST

My original question:
My husband is currently staying at the Omni Hotel in San  Francisco.   Has
anyone had any GF food there?

I talked to  the head chef regarding their breakfast meat options.   They
serve  a brand of pork sausage made locally known as Schwarz which has
"flavorings"  in it.  Does anyone know if this is GF?

Your responses:

The USDA (not the DFA) controls labeling for meat products and has regs  that
make it difficult to hide gluten as flavorings...Find it online at
_http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/flavorings.htm_
(http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/flavorings.htm)

###########
All you have to do is go to www.google.com and ask if any product (by  name)
is gluten free or you could just ask for Gluten free sausages.   You will get
100's
of answers in less than 1 sec.   (Note: The  Schwartz sausage info I found on
Google was not the same company.)

If your husband is truly a celiac and not just  following a GF diet, he would
be most foolish to take a chance on sausage  without any guarantee from the
company--at the very least.  Certainly  sausage would not be a breakfast
necessity on a trip where becomming ill would  be most difficult.  Fresh fruit,
plain eggs and his own bread would be  safer and wise.  It is terrible to be sick
with celiac symptoms when  traveling.
Just my advice from  experience.

Thanks for your responses!