From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 16:03:58 -0500
Michael > I assume that you eat more a substantial amount of fat now than previously.

That is correct.  But there was no conscious effort to try to include more fat.  I've been strictly zero carbs and three or four servings of protein the size of a deck of cards a day.  For the first week or two I wasn't interested in more fat.  Then my body "realized" that I HAD to eat more fat or starve.  Now I eat the stuff with abandon where I used to almost gag at the thought.  Sometimes, actually, I'll even drink a tablespoon or two of say olive oil.  There are no issues with digesting the stuff and clear stops when I've had enough.  Bottom line is that it doesn't feel artificial and I've never felt better.

Michael > I am more interested in gaining weight (muscle) than losing it

By and large me too.  But losing muscle weight isn't a possiblity.  You'll lose whatever fat depots you've got hanging around but not muscle.  I suspect your feelings of malaise on low carb have had to do with insufficient fat consumption.  We've listened for a long time to avoid fat like the plague and it really sinks in.  I highly recommend your reading "The Rosedale Diet."  He's a little loose, in my opinion, on grains and dairy sometimes.  But his take on macronutrients and saturated fat is spot on.