From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:28:51 -0400
At 04:38 PM 4/16/1998   Martin Kniep  wrote:

>I have an AST 386SX to which I want to add an internal modem and a 3.5"
>floppy drive.  I have recently purchased one of each from local retailers
>thinking, "Parts is Parts".  Wrong!  My communication software, Commit, was
>never able to locate the modem.  The documentation stated the modem required
>Windows 3.1 or 95.  Is this a requirement for some modems (hardware)?  Or
>does the packaged software require windows?  The floppy drive I brought home
>was half the size of my case's available bay (not a real problem), had pin
>connectors (my date cables connect to something more closely resembling a
>card), and the power cable connection was of a different size than exists in
>my system.
>
>Are drives and modems still available for this generation of machine?  Where
>(web sites, or general recommendations) can they be found?

Martin:

You're in the twilight zone of upgrades with an older PC.

The less expensive Windows Modems require Windows to
be running for the HARDWARE to work. What you have is
a board which the makers eliminated compression/control
and other hardware expecting you to use SOFTWARE to
perform these functions. Saving the $20 isn't worth it. As with
Windows Printers, you cannot use them outside of a Windows
3.x or 95 environment. Most times, not even in a DOS window.

Examples of hardware and software modems are the US Robotics
Sportster and Winmodems. I always recommend fully hardware
implemented modems; less problems, useful in more OS
environments, better performance (taxes the CPU less).
Unfortunately, a new branded 56K modem is worth more than a
basic AST 386SX system unit.

Re: the floppy: you need a 5.25" bracket ($5-10) to mount it in your
AST case. You could find and buy and an edge to 36-pin data
converter OR you could just buy a NEW DATA CABLE, one which
has both type connectors on the ribbon ($2). You can also buy a
power adapter to convert to the plug required by the floppy ($4).

If you buy a hard drive, get a new Quantum Bigfoot; those are
5.25" drives and should fit in your case. Or any 3.5" HDD, along
with a 5.25" bracket mounting.

Your AST case will NOT accept a standard AT motherboard,
unless you're prepared to drill new mounting hardware and
realign the ports in the back of the case (if it is the same model
as the ones I've seen).

Regards,

John Chin