Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:55:25 -0400
<snip>Do they get whole carcasses, organs and all? I am interested because I
think this has relevance to human nutrition.<snip>

My animals are also rawfed, which is kind of how I came to look at Paleo.
Actually someone from a rawfeeding list recommended this list to me.
Rawfeeding my animals has made such a significant difference in their health
 that I started looking at what I eat to. My labrador retriever has epilepsy
and when fed kibble (even the high quality stuff) his seizure activity is
worse. Just recently I looked back through my epi dogs journal documenting
his seizure activity.

I started rawfeeding my animals 14 months ago. In that time I have fed prey
model raw approximately 149 days with Riehle experiencing 2 petite mal
seizures during that period. I went back to high quality kibble for 6 weeks
due to my financial situation, not because of the diet. During that 41 day
period Riehle experienced 37 seizures, clustering grand mal and petite mal
seizures to the point of status. (life threatening) The price of dog food
kibble is not worth the life of my animals so I feed prey model raw and will
never go back to dog food again.

My two dogs and two cats are fed a species appropriate diet called prey
model raw. I feed raw meaty bones (edible bones covered with inches of
luscious meat), meat, and organ. (no veggies or grains, they are not species
appropriate) Some people feed whole carcass, but since I live in an
apartment in a city that is a bit more difficult for me. Actually last
summer I got a cows head free from a local slaughter house and tossed it in
my back yard for the dogs to chew on for a couple days. The neighbors called
the city, and I had to explain to the city code enforcement officers why I
put a cows head in my yard. They don't seem to understand that a cows head
isn't going to draw critters any more then someone's dog food bowl full of
food (which rats and mice just love), or their garbage cans overflowing in
their yards, so I had to quit doing that. *g* Oh well...

I feed what some refer to as Frankenprey. I feed all parts of the animal,
but not the whole animal at the same time. I feed my boys beef, pork, lamb,
chicken, turkey, rabbit, goat, venison, the cats even get some mice
occasionally. I have not fed any meals with feathers or fur yet, but that
doesn't mean I won't try it. I just have not had the opportunity to do so
yet.

Here are some links to check out for further information if you are
interested.

http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

http://rawlearning.com/

http://rawfed.com/

One other note, I also don't feed my dogs every day. I do not feed them on a
regimented schedule etiher. They have gone from eating twice a day on kibble
 to twice a day on rawfeeding, to once a day rawfeeding which can be any
time of the day, to gorge and fast. Gorge and fast means that there are
times when I will let my dogs eat to total fullfillment then not feed them
for one or two days after depending on the size of their gorge meal. Some
days I feed a small meal, others I feed larger meals. I no longer am bound
to the task of measuring or portioning out meals for them... the dogs
actually know what it is like to be full. When feeding twice a day, they
never know that feeling. Just like in the wild, if the dogs are hunting they
are not going to be eating at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. each day., and they are not
going to be lucky enought to catch a meal every day either. When my GSD and
Lab eat a 9 to 10 pound pork picnic roast each or a whole turkey apiece,
they are full and don't need to eat for a couple days.

Sincerely,

Lynn