From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:29:42 +0000
On Nov 17, 2004, at 12:16 am, Gerard Farrell wrote:
>  Ashley, make sure you take the morning after pill; you have your work
> cut
> out. (HeHe).

God only knows what would happen to me if I took the morning after pill
myself!

>  Seriously, don't forget you'll have to find a woman that is willing to
> breastfeed. Some women, for a variety of reasons don't do it.

This is true, and I find it shocking.  It's a brilliant example of
modern laziness.  It seems like we are all on a quest to do as little
as possible- we drive to work, eat microwave food, and get our shopping
delivered to us.  Breastfeeding is an essential part of raising a young
child.  It should be made compulsory!

>  Did you know that breastmilk doesn't contain any vitamin D? So.
> unless the
> baby is exposed to sunlight they (AFAIK) don't get this vit. until they
> start on solids that contain it.
>  "VITAMIN D" appearantly, is a misnomer, as the term 'vitamin' is only
> given to substances that cannot be manufactured by the
> body.(synthesised)
> Those of us getting adequate sunshine shouldn't have a problem as the
> body
> makes plenty when exposed.

I never realised human milk had no vitamin D.  It just goes to show
that we should be spending a lot more time outdoors- or perhaps eating
more fish or eggs.  I'm not aware of any organs in land mammals that
store vitamin D- is pig liver a source?

You're right that vitamin D is not strictly a vitamin (arguably,
cholesterol could be called a vitamin on the same grounds), but since
we probably need a dietary source in practice it makes sense calling it
one.  Maybe paleo people, who lived outdoors, did not need to eat so
much of it.

>  Heaven help us here in Ireland; we should all have rickets.
>  As regards kids growing up: of course they're going to eat the
> 'forbidden
> fruit' along the way. Though I would imagine if a kid was on Paleo and
> then
> did a Ray Audette by having some Haagen Daaz, it would make him/her
> voilently ill.

What is the story about Ray Audette ?  I'm afraid this one went over my
head.

>  Gerard.
>
>            There was a young lady called Pat
>            Who had triplets named Nat, Pat and Tat
>            She had fun with the breeding
>            But none with the feeding
>            When she found she'd no tit for Tat

Haha.  I know a woman called Pat.  I suspect her kids were bottle-fed
looking at them now!

Ashley