From:
Persephone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 08:39:47 +0100
Hi all,

It's been a long search to find a discussion list on nutrition that felt
just right, but I've believe I've finally found a home with you ;-)

This post is mostly biographical, so anyone who isn't interested in the
personal stuff can scroll down to the two questions at the bottom of the
page ;-)  I've included it because I've always like to read about how other
paleo-eaters live, and their reasons for choosing this way of life.

I have a BA in Social Anthropology at SOAS and spent most of my time there
studying medical anthropology. I later switched disciplines but was unable
to complete an MSc. in Nutritional Medicine (UNIS, Surrey UK) due to
illness.

I am continuing my nutritional studies informally at home, where I can
follow my own interests. I am curious about all kinds of nutritional
medicine, but have a particular interest in the effects of a change of diet
on emotions, and all kinds of mental disorders

I tend to take a scientific approach, but not exclusively. I believe in
using a combination of orthodox and complementary therapies where my own
health is concerned. I am, however, very sceptical about most New Age
offerings.

As for a more personal introduction, I love painting and drawing, playing
the bodhran, Celtic music, medicine, science, sailing, tall ships,
beachcombing, natural history, French, and chess.

I'm a non-capitalistic person who's found that contentment consists of
having as little as possible to worry about; literally! I dislike owning
more things than I need and the more I give away, the lighter I feel. My
driving motivation is to simplify my entire life as much as possible. I am
also working on simplifying my thoughts and beliefs.

I consider my daughter and my many friends as essential to my happiness: but
I have jettisoned organised religions, politics, academia, television,
newspapers, my marriage, and all romantic relationships without any pain. A
little extreme, I guess, but I'm keen on self-preservation <g>

My recipe for happiness also includes getting exactly the right amount of
sleep, lots of exercise in the daylight and fresh air (cycling, rock
scrambling, walking and sea swimming) plus weight training at home; *never*
putting up with negative company, and *plenty* of laughter therapy ;-)

My Luddite tendencies are not perfect. I adore all things computer-related,
and I relax with my favourite vices: films, PS2 games, and writing to email
friends.

I have been home-educating my amazing 13-year-old daughter autonomously for
the last two years and it has been the most intriguing and rewarding
experience.

I can't be bothered with most conventions, and have discovered that
happiness lies in having the courage to be honest enough to live your own
life.

Well, that's the personal stuff over. I have plenty of questions which I
shall be posting over the coming weeks. I'm still trawling through the
archives in the hope that I won't duplicate any previous enquiries.

I am starting to eat a Palaeolithic diet, having discovered that eliminating
grains and dairy has helped me cure a lot of physical problems.

I am also changing my exercise patterns at home to fit more closely with
Palaeolithic ideals.

Nutritionally, here's where I am so far: I've discovered that I am grain and
dairy intolerant. Grains adversely affect my entire GI tract and also
depress my mood. Dairy products increase mucous production and give me an
asthmatic cough and URT-type allergic reactions.

Onions, garlic, cucumbers and bananas all cause gastrointestinal upsets.
Tomatoes cause apthous ulcers, but only if I eat too many.  Caffeine makes
me anxious and irritable, and that's *not* a normal state for me, as I'm a
relentless optimist!

I have hay fever and a topical latex allergy.

Omega-3 fatty acid supplements and lots of fresh sea foods appear to keep me
well in mind and body. I take an assortment of fairly innocuous supplements
at well below mega-doses.

After 20 years as a vegetarian, I discovered that I do much better on a high
meat/poultry/fish/eggs diet with *plenty* of meat fat. I also eat piles of
fresh vet and a little fruit in season. Nuts, dried fruits and a few seeds
also work for me in small amounts.

I've foraged for wild foods all my life, especially edible fungi.

I thrive on a high-fat diet, primarily because I am out there tussling with
the elements every day from just before sunrise until around 10am. Exercise
is the most wonderful natural mood elevator!

When I recently went to my GP for a check-up, he said that it had been a
long time since he had said this to a patient, but he thought I was
exercising too much!

I'm very healthy physically. My 'cholesterol' levels and blood pressure are
always lower than the norm; even though I still have more weight to lose (I
was wrongly diagnosed for two decades and put on medication which caused my
appetite to be permanently switched on).

I have spent years surfing the web, looking for good information on
paleodiets, but just ended up completely confused. There are so many bits of
conflicting advice from site to site.

That's why I'm here. I've always said that we as individuals know much more
than the so-called experts, and certainly more than the average medic, about
what works for us nutritionally.

I look forward to benefiting from the knowledge and experiences that are
held within you all.

I am not interested in being an extremist about my diet. I believe that
although we all have the same basic physiologies; there are many individual
variations which means that no 'expert' can give more than guidelines about
nutrition.

I do best on cooked meats and veg, eating one salad a day. I eat salt and
keep my carbs up for medical reasons. I eat all kinds of meats, fish,
shellfish, veg (barring some of the solanaceous kind), fruits, nuts, seeds.
That's it so far.

I have two questions:

I've been eating paleo for two weeks now, and I know that it takes time for
body to adjust to the changes. My weight continues to drop steadily. The
only negative side effect is a transient frontal headache. I rarely suffer
from headaches. Does anyone know what might be causing this? It's not
caffeine withdrawal as I went through that a month ago!

As someone who used to be very carb-dependent, I am starting my paleo
routine by including quite a lot of fresh and a small amount of dried
fruits. I have always been told that fruit acids and sugars can damage tooth
enamel. Could any dentists here advise me on the truth of this, and how I
can minimise this effect?  I have very strong teeth, and have had few dental
problems so far.

Sláinte

Persephone