From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:07:02 -0700
I have literally mountains of stuff on my computer that addresses this
issue. One thing your friend mught read is an article from BMJ:
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/322/7289/757?ijkey=ee1efd04f8cd80d30813d3ad5906a5e3aa7235b3&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

It's a meta-analysis of the literature -- here's a quote from a paper I
did on the subject a few years ago. The analysis gave a slight nod to
the saturated fat and cholesterol theory (afraid not to) -- but found
that none of the relationships was statistically significant. In my
school of statistics, we throw that crap out.

"Another meta-analysis that only looked at intervention studies found
that after examining the results of 27 studies lasting at least 2 years
that any lowering of cholesterol achieved by modification of dietary fat
was “modest” and that the pooled data suggested “that total mortality
and cardiovascular events were reduced as energy from fat, and serum
cholesterol concentrations, fell “ … “However, none of these relations
were convincing” (i.e. reached statistical significance) (Hooper et al,
2001, pp. 759 –60. These authors also add that
“despite decades of effort and many thousands of people randomized,
there is still only limited and inconclusive evidence of the effects of
modification of total, saturated, monosaturated, or polyunsaturated fats
on cardiovascular mortality. (2001. p.762)"

If you like, I'll send you the paper -- it was done in a sports
nutrition context, it's not long and it has some good references.

Also, definitely have your friend check out www.thincs.org -- a website
where noted medical authorities debunk the fat/cholesterol myth.

Also check out the Taubes article: The Soft Science of Dietary Fat which
was published in Science.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/taubes.html

Namaste,Liz