ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cecily Ballenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:47:14 -0800
From: "Chung Eng Lee" <

To:    <

Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 09:43 AM

Subject:  Jesus Saved Our Life-Testimony Malaysian-Tsunami-Phuket

It is definitely a blessing from the Lord that I could still write this
email and wish you all A Happy New Year.

It has been almost 13 days since the bad episode that almost took my life.
Ever since I returned, and since The Sun newspaper carried the news of our
survival,
I have been getting calls and sms wishing for my speedy recovery. I have to
admit that I have not been responding to any calls as I was/am still
recovering.

Most of all, I personally want to thank all of you for your encouragement.
The whole experienced has been shocking but if anything good that has come
out
of it, is that my personal faith, walking with the Lord has definitely soar
higher and that he has spared my life to live again.  I am better; my
injuries
are nothing, just some cuts and bruises on my head and leg through broken
glasses and the knock against the glass door. Unfortunately others have not
been
so bless. The pictures on papers and TV gave a clearer picture of the death
and destruction, indeed all of it was not a movie but it was the actual
scene
which took much life away.....

Therefore, to those who have been contacting me, I am taking this
opportunity to write and tell you my experienced. You will also hear me
mentioning about
Jesus and how miraculously HE saved me and my sister from death. Please note
that this is my personal experienced which I have encountered during the
tragedy.
All glory to Jesus.

25TH DEC 2004- 8pm...

The night before the incident around 8pm, both my sis and I were walking
down the streets. I had this sudden urged to sing a Christian worship song
which
I have not sung for a long long time. So as I was walking I sang the chorus
over and over again. During our walk, my heart felt uneasy. I told my sis of
my uneasiness and that she had asked me to pray in tongues to the Lord. I
did just that. Looking back and realizing the lyrics of the song, I now
understand
how merciful God is because HE tried to prepare/ warn me about
the tragedy.

 The song entitled STILL

 'Chorus'

 WHEN THE OCEAN RISE AND THUNDER ROARS
 I WILL SOAR WITH YOU ABOVE THE STORM
 FATHER YOU ARE KING OVER THE FLOOD
 I WILL BE STILL KNOW YOU ARE GOD.

 26TH DEC 6.00AM...

We were supposed to check out from one hotel and check in to another at
12.00pm on 26th Dec 2004. There was no reason for us to wake up so early
since it
was our much deserved holiday but on that 26th Dec 6.00am (both my sis and I
which were sleeping on a separate bed) we felt as though someone was waking
us up. I thought my sis woke me up to pray as she normally would but I
thought, "can't be" as it was still so early. Little that I know, she felt
it too
and she had the same thought. I then opened my eyes and looked at her and
realized that it was not our own doing. We were not scared, and
concluded that the Lord wants us to wake up to pray. So we did just that and
later check out way ahead of time.

 9.30am-10.00am...26th December 2004

We dragged our luggage and walked along the street towards the hotel. We
arrived the next hotel around 9.45am. Soon as we handed our check in slip to
the
receptionist, we saw people were running frantically away from the beach
towards the hotel. The moment we turned our head and look in front, we saw a
huge
big 30ft high wave came crushing through the glass door of the reception. It
was so scary as the height of the wave covered the blue sky, the whole area
were darken.

We were inside the reception area, there were no way to run as the wave
crashed mercilessly towards the glass door. We could hear loud noises from
the shattered
glass and in a split second the reception area was filled with the sea
water. The water rose to our neck and we were swept against another glass
door,
the glass door shattered and threw us out of the reception area. We both
were clinging on each other, the water swept
 through us and we went under the water. My mind went blank; I gulped some
sea water-that was all I could remember. Somehow, somewhere in the middle of
it, as everything happened so fast, we managed to cling on a wooden pillar.
At that precise moment, all we could do was to just pray. I left everything
on earth at that point of time, my family, my love ones, my business, my
friends, everything... There was nothing I can cry to except to GOD and I
did
just that. I took out all the knowledge that I learned during my bible class
called Deeper Life Seminar conducted by Pastor Vernon Falls. I remembered
that he always told us to pray in tongues even more when are in trouble.
That was the only knowledge that I have and can use then.

 We were looking at the disaster, trying to comprehend but it was chaos.
Cars were crashing thru the building, gas tank were leaking, roof were
tumbling
down, people were screaming, we knew dead bodies were everywhere.  All I did
was pray and pray and all I know was to hold my sister tightly to me so that
we will not separated by the strong wave. Approximately seven minutes later
the second much stronger wave came and swept us again. I am really amazed
that
I didn't cry nor had any panic attacked at the time. I still know what to
do. In fact, there was this Thai lady who was clinging onto my sis so hard
because
she can't swim, she was screaming away. In time like that, I don't
 know how I can still think, I raised my voice at the Thai lady, so that she
could hear me and asked her to stop screaming and don't be panic. I told her
to calm down and just pray. I saw how she hold on to my sis and was worried
for my sis incase her weight might pushed my sister under the water. So I
said,
"don't scream, don't be panic and don't hold her so tight, Is okay,
everything is going to be fine" She calmed down immediately and followed
exactly what
we asked her to do. My sister has always been very strong in her devotion
with the Lord. She knew that she has to safe the Thai lady by asking her to
accept
the Lord as her savior. I knew you think it is crazy to do so in times like
that, but in Christianity, we believed that eternity life begins when you
received
Jesus and that we believed that when you accept Christ as your Lord and
savior you automatically go to heaven. And because of that, my sister knew
our
situation then, was life and death and that she feels that if anything
should happen to the Thai lady at least she will end up in heaven. It was
really
amazing in crisis like that; my sis could lead the Thai lady into
 prayer to accepted Christ. The Thai lady accepted Christ there and then and
she joined us to pray loudly crying to the Lord, commanding the sea water to
calm down and stop the wave from coming, in Jesus name". Our prayer felt
stronger when the three of us prayed in agreement.

After the second wave, we took the risk to swim across to a staircase. When
I was up at the balcony, the whole disaster hit me, only then I started to
cry
and the fear was overwhelming. There were about 20 foreigners were at the
balcony, everyone were in shocked, people were crying and blood were
everywhere.
 My sister only suffered some bruises while I had a deep cut on both my
feet. It was painful but the shock was unbearable. I could not take my eyes
away
from the sea, worried that the third wave will attack us again. At the
balcony I was still holding on to a pole, while my sister went around
praying for
others, telling them that Jesus will kept us safe from harm. I knew she
meant well, she doesn't care about her own safety she know if anything
happen to
us we will go to heaven BUT she is more concerned for the others, she also
want them to go to heaven. She kept telling them about Jesus and she prayed
for all of them. She prayed in Jesus name to break and bind all the fear in
them. I noticed, some foreigners appreciated her and accepted Christ there
and then while others was calmer after the prayer.

She doesn't allow me to cry and she told me to keep praying in tongues and
worships the Lord and I did nothing but just that. Later when she was next
me, I then asked my sister in my chocking voice "Can I sing a worship song"?
She looked at me helplessly and said " ok you sing to the Lord"...Tears kept
flowing down my cheek, I sang," when the oceans rise and thunders roar, i
will soar with you above the storm, father you are King over the flood, I
will
be still know you are God" Right after I sang that song, my sister looked at
me and quickly said " That's right!! That is what God is trying to tell us.
He is the Kind over the flood and he is asking us to be still and know that
He is GOD and he will overseas the whole situation." June continue saying "
God was trying to prepare us before the tragedy that is why he gave you the
song to sing last night and that is why he woke us up earlier this morning
so that we could leave the room if not we would have been trapped" I
listened attentively, nodded my head, still crying and agreed that
everything she
said make sense. The sudden feeling of God's presence and his greatest love
just flows in my heart and immediately I had peace and fear just left me. I
felt the Lord was telling me "Don't worry, everything is going to be over
and the wave will
not come near you anymore" True enough, there were no third wave, the sea
water subsided, the rescue team began to search and rescue all of us.

The ambulance took me to the nearby hospital as I was badly cut and could
not walk. There were neither "after shock" nor 3rd tidal wave but the town
were
in chaos. The hospital that we were at, were in chaos condition. They could
not treat me but only offered me a bandage.  We walked out of the hospital
to find a pair of scandals as my scandals was swept away by the wave. As we
were walking to look for a shop, my sister realized I cannot walk and I was
still bleeding due to the deep cuts. She asked me to wait for her, while she
proceeds to look for a shop to get me a pair of scandals. While waiting
for her, people were again seen running towards me. The police were making
some announcement in their local language. I could not understand. I thought
I lost my sister, but thank God she came out looking for me and we found
each other in the midst of people running for their life. We asked one of
the
locals and we were told to run to the mountain as there could be an "after
shock" and the possibility of a greater damage. I felt
the tense again, we walked as fast we could but we have no idea where to.
Later, we stop a van and the driver drop us near a hill top.  We reached the
mountain
and we saw a bungalow belong to a local. There were many foreigners seated
along the road side. My sister told me to find a quiet place so that we
could
pray. We found this little corner at the side of the bungalow. We seated and
started to pray. The place we were resting overseeing the sea. I hated the
sea then. I never thought such a beautiful and peaceful place can turn out
to be so ugly, so fierce, and so merciless. I was angry at the sea-deep in
me
I know it was the devil's work. The devil chooses the holiday season to kill
much innocent life.  I just could not leave my eye looking at the sea,
crying
and praying at the same time. I was feeling very insecure and worried of
another attack.

About 30 minutes later, the owner of the house came out and asked us if we
wanted a drink. I knew we look miserable and dirty, in our wet shorts and
t-shirt,
dirty sand on our hair, we looked and felt like a refugee. At that instant I
really know how it feels to be one. My sister had earlier said to me, should
we need to notify anyone, it has to be someone who can pray and intercede
for us. So I asked if I could call our Pastor, and she agreed. We both
walked
towards the house entrance and asked the owner's permission to use their
phone. We were blessed that we still had our passport and money as we stuff
those
in a waist pouch. We knew that we could pay the owner on the telephone
charges made by us. I believed it was the favor from the Lord, the local
owner not
only allowed us to used their phone, they even offered us to take a rest in
their place. They told us to shower, provide us with dry cloths, gave us
food
to eat, provide us with new blankets, and even gave us mattress and pillow
so we could be more comfortable. We were the only 2 among many foreigners
that
were given such treatment by that owner. The rest of the victims were left
waiting and camping along the roadside.

The 2 hours after shock never came and time passed we were still waiting. It
was already 6pm. The locals told us that the airport is opened. My sister
was
feeling uneasy; she felt that we should leave the island. But we wanted to
hear from the Lord. We knew God can give us instruction. So we prayed in
agreement
and prayed in tongues. Again I felt the Lord was saying something to me. I
felt that the Lord is saying we will be flying off that night itself. If I
were
to use my mind to analyst, I knew it is impossible as everything is in chaos
and we can't even call the airport. All the telephone lines were dead. In
my mind, even if we were to reach the airport, it is near to the sea and
what if another attack hit, we would be facing what we faced earlier. Being
up
in the mountain is not the safest place to be either. Should there were an
after shock, the mountain will give way and causes another major collapse. I
obeyed what I feel the Lord said to me and told my sister. My sister then
prayed to the Lord and said, "Lord, if it is your will for us to leave the
island
tonight, Pastor Vernon will call the house. And that will be the
confirmation" We continue praying. At 11pm, the phone rang and it was Pastor
Vernon. June
asked Pastor and told him about our plan. Pastor mentioned that during his
prayer he also felt the Lord wanted us to leave the island as soon as
possible.
That was the confirmation and we asked the owner's son to take us to the
airport immediately.

We reached the airport at 12.30am. There were only a handful of people. None
of the victims were seen in the airport except June and I. No body knew what
happened to us and we proceed to asked if there were any tickets to KL.
There wasn't obviously but the lady told us there is a plane leaving to
Bangkok
in half an hour time. We looked at each other; we were very surprised and
quickly purchased 2 tickets to Bangkok. We arrived at Bangkok airport at
3am.
I noticed that the flight that we were in was a delay flight from Phuket
which was meant to fly off at 7.45pm. I had a disbelief look and deep in me
know that the Lord must have waited for us to board the plane. Again I was
totally amazed with the Lord's timing and his plan for us to leave the
island.
Again I had learned another lesson from the Lord. When HE gave you
instruction, don't think how, just do it. Everything is possible according
to HIS will.

We both returned safely to KLIA at 12.00pm on 27th December 2004.

 HE is truly an awesome GOD and HE is alive and HIS words are real. I don't
regret going through the disaster as it has make me a stronger person, and
my
faith in the Lord has definitely soar higher.....higher than the tidal wave
for sure.

 Thank you all for your kind concern, your sms and your calls. God Bless you
always.

 Chung Eng Lee
 Petaling Jaya-Malaysia

"For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring
with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. Then we who are alive and
remain
will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the
air, and so we shall always be with the Lord." (1 Thessalonians 4:14 & 17)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hjtSRD/3MnJAA/i1hLAA/LUWolB/TM