ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Ferguson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:27:05 -0500
Subject: E-Devotion May 29-Finding Encouragement in the Desert...
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:13:33 -0500

Finding Encouragement in the Desert...

Have you ever said to yourself "No one cares"?  Have you ever worked as
hard as you could, did your best and then been criticized?  Where do you
find encouragement when even God seems to be against you?   Read Ezekiel
24:15-18.

The word of the LORD came to me (Ezekiel):  "Son of man, with one blow I am
about to take away from you the delight of your eyes.  Yet do not lament or
weep or shed any tears.  Groan quietly; do not mourn for the dead.  Keep
your turban fastened and your sandals on your feet; do not cover the lower
part of your face or eat the customary food of mourners." So I spoke to the
people in the morning, and in the evening my wife died.  The next morning I
did as I had been commanded.

Can you imagine the grief Ezekiel experienced in losing his wife and the
struggle he faced because he wasn't able to mourn and because he knew that
the Lord had done this?   Where do you find encouragement in a situation
like this?  Where did Ezekiel find strength and hope to obey?  Psalm 57:1-4
reads "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes
refuge.  I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster
has passed.  I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose
for me.  He sends from heaven and saves me, rebuking those who hotly pursue
me; God sends his love and his faithfulness."

Ezekiel found hope and encouragement in the Lord because Ezekiel knew God
and knew God loved him.   Encouragement that depends on others, the
situations that we find ourselves, or our own strength will always fail and
leave us empty.   Remember God is love, God loves us and God's love for us
will never fail ....no matter what the situation or how God uses us to
further His purposes.

In your prayers, meditate on how God's love and faithfulness are
encouraging to you.

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send an email
[log in to unmask]   Pass this E-Devotion on to your friends.