AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wilmot B. Valhmu" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 11:33:11 -0700
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Salifou,

Thanks for the update.  After reading Earl's e-mail,
I'm still amazed that anyone could think that abortion
could significantly contribute to reduction of the
crime rate.  As Earl indicated, the study supporting
this belief is "dubious."  What I know about
regression analysis indicates that the r-square value
has to be pretty high in order to state with any
certainty that there's a strong correlation between
two phenomena or parameters.  Otherwise, it is
irresponsible with a weak correlation (as it seems in
this case) to advance the thesis that abortion has a
positive effect on reduction of crime rates.

On the "political" side of things, I'm unlike Earl, in
that I'm more to the far right of the abortion debate.
 I shudder to think that people would, or are willing
to, give license to "women" to kill their babies at
"any time during pregnancy."  The only time I would
think it appropriate to allow abortion is when a
medical decision must be made between saving the life
of the mother or the child.  Any other, with the
possible exception of a pregnancy due to rape, is not
justifiable.  (Note:  In the case of rape, I would
agonizingly leave it to the woman and her God, if she
believes in God.)

Take care,

- Wilmot

=== message truncated ===