AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ademola Iyi-Eweka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:42:07 +0000
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

When this article first came out five years ago, I did not respond to it. I
do not know why I am doing it now, except to correct innuedos and show the
whole African community the problem confronting the AAM. Abu Askia Koroma
and this posting represents the problem confronting AAM.
I have told many people that AAM's constitution then and now was not the
problem confronting AAM. The problem confronting the AAM are the utterances
and behavior of some members who call themselves card-carrying members of
AAM such as ASKIA KOROMA.

I had just been elected in 1999 and in the process of taking over form
Richard Yarl, when Abu Hassan Koroma launched his polemics against me for no
just cause. He forgot that I competed with Mrs Cole for the position of the
Vice-presidency of AAM. I lost by a "big margin" of 5 votes on absentee
balloting. I protested loudly against it, but gratefully accepted the
result. When she eventually resigned, I was at the AAM meeting that saw
another election to fill the vacancy. I was renominated and I accepted it,
because I believe that I OWE AAM SOME SERVICE AS AN AFRICAN. I had not
forgoten how AAM rallied round me when my wife died on Feb. 14th. 1994.

As the President of AAM, I saw "fire and brimstone" in the hands of some
members of the Executive Committee. There were some individuals for reasons
unknown, who were out to make sure we failed to do the job, especially the
AFFEST for that year. Abu Koroma was one of those out but throwing stones
into the executive and Affest, because I refused to give him what he wanted
for the Affest.  Abu Koroma became a SABOTUER. And like all sabotuers he
failed woefully.

Sabotaging the activities of AAM did not start with me. Aggo Akyea had it.
Money was said to have been misappropriated during his tenure. But we can
not find evidence anywhere. It extended to my predecessor Richard Yarl, with
some people actually calling donors to find out how much was donated during
his time. AAM was accused of mismanagement of AFEST fund.  You can see the
proof, when you observe how sharply the revenue through donation dropped
from the year 2000. Some of these donors called me find out if we were
investigating donations past or requesting for new ones.
    Ladies and gentlemen, the problem with AAM was not in the constitution
then and now. The problem is the fear of SABOTAGE. The fear of sabotage
account for the reason nobody want to serve in the Execitive Committee of
AAM. Sabotage takes different forms and shapes. When YOU RUN DOWN ELECTED
OFFICIALS OF AAM or THE PROGRAMS, you are a sabotuer. Now, tell me why
Ademola Iyi-Eweka would want to serve in any capacity in AAM, in view of
what I went through in year 2000?   Africans were doing it to their own
organization-AAM, sabotaging their own collective efforts.

This repost from Askia Koroma has no relevance now execept that it has given
me an opportunity to respond to his smear campaign. I am not the current
President of AAM. I served 6 years ago. I handed over to somebody. It is the
turn of the President Adelaide Fiske to hand over to somebody. The irony of
it all was that the present Madame President of AAM was the general
secretary of the 2000 executive which they tried to cripple. She was in Abu
Koroma's camp then.
But I decided to put all those behind me. I have served the AAM in different
capacities since I left office.

ABU kOROMA, are you suggesting that AAM could not conduct election in 2004
because  Ademola Iyi-Eweka was President in the year 2000? The Affest 2000
is still regarded by the people of Madison-WI as the best ever, inspite of
Koroma's sabotage.

On a final note, no matter the type of constitution AAM may come up with,
the people in it need a change of minds and hearts. They should understand
that those who volunteer to serve AAM should be praised and not piloried or
pulled down. I did not do it for the money.

Members of AAM, I am sorry I had to bug you with this response. In fact, I
am in state of mourning having just lost my junior sister to death in Benin
City, Nigeria. But I had to pull off my mourning sack cloth to defend my
name and honor. We need to respond to FOOLS sometimes otherwise they would
not learn.

I can now put on my mourning garment!!!

Ademola Iyi-Eweka