AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:08:33 -0500
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

Kadhafi disputes the French presence
(New Observer 24/11/2004)

The Libyan leader, who receives Jacques Chirac in Tripoli this Wednesday,
estimates that the intervention of the French Army in Ivory Coast "was an
error". It fears "that that does not have a negative influence on the
relations afro-Frenchwomen"

The intervention of the French Army in Ivory Coast "was an error", affirms
the Libyan leader, colonel Moammar Kadhafi, in a maintenance published
Wednesday November 24 in the Barber Undertaken. Jacques Chirac is waited
Wednesday in Tripoli for the first visit of a French president in Libya
since 1951. "I fear that that does not have a negative influence on the
relations afro-Frenchwomen", colonel Kadhafi about the presence of French
soldiers in Ivory Coast declares. "I believe that it was an error to
intervene in Ivory Coast. Now, confidence disappeared ". More generally,
the Libyan "guide" affirms "not to have yet included/understood the reason
of the military presence of France in Africa".

Uninterrupted relations

Questioned on the relations between Paris and Tripoli, it affirms that they
"were never broken, as it was the case with Great Britain, the United
States and other nearby countries. Nothing still darkened the history of
the relations free-Libyan women ". September 19, 1989, a DC10 of ATU had
however exploded in full flight above the desert of Ténéré making 170 died,
including 54 French, attack allotted to Libya. Publicity

Fourteen years later, in September 2003, the government of Tripoli and
associations of families of victims ended to an agreement of compensation
to height for a million for dollars per victim. Without mentioning this
question, colonel Kadhafi is pleased with the "very positive positions"
catches by Jacques Chirac "on the Palestinian problem, on the war against
Iraq". "Our two countries can combine their efforts to help Africa", adds
it.

Visit in France

Questioned on a possible visit in France, the Libyan leader answers:
"Personally, I think of it. I do not have an objection ". He says himself
in addition "a little disappointed by the reaction of Europe, of the United
States, of Japan" after his decision to dismantle his program of nuclear
armament. "They did not really reward Libya for its contribution to
international peace. And we are in the expectancy ". "Normally, a country
which gets rid of its weapons of massive destruction should at least obtain
guarantees as for its national safety on behalf of the international
community", advances it.
Perhaps in the same way, "this country would have to be helped to transform
this military material into material of civil use". AP

NOUVELOBS.COM | 24.11.04 | 07:09

© Copyright The New Observer
To visit the site of: The New Observer