Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:21:25 -0500
7bit
From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
On Friday 25 February 2005 08:52 am, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> Today for some reason, the monitor on my old computer decided to stop
> functioning properly. The display is all messed up -- fuzzy and difficult
> to see. I've tried adjusting all the buttons on the monitor, I've shut down
> and restarted and nothing seems to help. Is there a lifetime on monitors
> (this one is a Gateway 2000 Vivitron 15 inch -- it's probably 7-8 years
> old). Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
> Mary Deckert

Mary:
I'd say that your monitor has done very well, and it's time to replace it.
While it is possible to repair it, you will find that the repair charges will
likely exceed the cost of a new monitor. My advice would be to check out the
fliers in the Sunday papers -- the major appliance and office supply chains
almost always advertise special pricing on monitors, and you'll usually find
some unadvertised specials in the store, too. IMHO, it is preferable to
purchase a monitor from a local store rather than on the web. You not only
get to see it working -- and what your eyes tell you about the monitor is
very important -- but you avoid the shipping hassle.

Assuming that your workspace can accommodate a larger monitor, a 17 inch flat
screen CRT is the least that you should consider (I've seen them for as
little as $70 after rebate). You might also want to consider an LCD monitor
-- much less power consumption, and much more compact -- but more bucks.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby