Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 11:40:37 -0500
Eliot >  How much protein?  It's on page 97.  60-75 g/day, split into 3-5 portions of 15-20 g each

Agreed.  Those are the general recommendations.  And later in the book he breaks it down by gender and the numbers end up being between 60-100g/day, the figure I've been throwing around.  This is pretty close to the RDA, but the RDA is based on ammonia/urea toxicity not gluconeogenesis.  So I'm looking for a study that says that the healthy body needs x grams a day in order to repair tissues and create neurotransmitters not one that looks at the amount before one is poisoned.

Eliot > Some references on p 300. Probably the most applicable would be:

> De, A.K. Some biochemical parameters of aging in relation to dietary
> protein, /Mechanisms of Aging and Development/, Vol 21, 1983, 37-48
>
> Fleming, R.M. The effect of high-protein diets on coronary blood flow.
> /Angiology/, 2000, Vol 51, Iss 10, 817-26

I've done a cursory look at the studies referenced in the "benefits of low protein" section and haven't been able to find anything yet to support Rosedale's comment in the book that "the more protein you eat the more proficient you become at
making glucose from the protein in your diet, and from the protein in
your muscle and bone."  Maybe I need to look more closely.