Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:22:51 -0500

In less than 24 hours I had more responses than I could have hoped for. I
thank each one for their special information which also included
alternative treatments. Many also sent good wishes for me and that was kind
of them.

First the basics for the six brands about which I had asked. Some came with
qualifications. All of those responding had used the medications or
researched them

Four said that Lexapro was GF.

Seven agreed that Celexa was GF and one said the generic was also GF.

Six agreed on Paxil as being GF but one added that Paxilc cr did not agree
with them. One mentioned that the generic might be GF but it would depend
on the manufacturer. Several mentioned that it made them very tired and
they switched other medications because of this.

Five said Zoloft was definitely GF. One of those used it for a year and
then switched to acupuncture and thought it was a better treatment.

Six said the Prozac was GF but two did not agree on the generic brand. One
mentioned that Sarafem is the same thing and is GF.

Three recommended Remeron.

Two other medications that were mentioned were Cymbalto by one and
Wellbutrin by two.

Some alternatives were offered.

One said,  Not that you asked for this information, but have you and your
doctor considered using fish oils for the omega-3 fatty acids (1000 to
3000 mgs per day), and the use of a light box to treat the depression?
Both work great. And if the oils are not being absorbed well, use of
lipase digestive enzyme to help absorb it.

An other suggested this.
This is a little off topic, but SAM-e by Nature Made is
GF.  IT is an over the coutner, and some studies have
shown it is as effective as Prozac, others have shown
it is more mild, but no study has shown that it is
ineffective.

Other helpful comment are included.

<You might want to try some GF Phosphatidyl serine and B-vitamins first.>

<Try looking on glutenfreedrugs.com>

<They're all gf. Check the drug list at
<http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFmedlist.pdf>.

Again, I thonk all that responded and hope that this will benenficial to
others. It certainly was to me.

Jeanne             RI