Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:07:02 -0700

I got some interesting & supportive responses.  ~Valerie in Tacoma
-------------
How much you want to bet that so-called research study proving no
connection between schizo. & CD was funded by a pharmaceutical company in
an effort to PROVE that all schizophrenics need prescription medication
for LIFE!
Ann
-------------
CD, by bowel biopsty,  does exist in my family; while other family
members, thru testing with Enterolab and other labs,  have proven to only
have a gluten intolerance - also a casein intolerance with the risk of
developing
CD on the basis of HLA markers.
        The fact that while some family members do not test positive to tTG
antibodies does in no way take away the importance of their positive
results for a gluten/casein intolerance.  Their symptoms (MS, ADHD,
Parkinson-like symptoms, etc.) are very much related to these
intolerances; as going on the diet will attest to, so, I can very much
appreciate your comments.
        I believe that more importance into gluten intolerance research is
required - that celiac disease  is just one manifestation of a gluten
intolerance.  Dare I say, that CD is getting too much attention?  :-)
        I still can't fathom how the medical profession can ignore the fact that
people who test positive to anti-gliadin antibodies do not have a problem
with wheat that is manifesting itself in adversely affecting their
health.
Regards, Marilyn
--------------
Nice message, Valerie.  Your anger is warranted, and I, for one, share
your frustration.  I hold a Ph.D. in particle physics.  I know how to
conduct a proper study and analysis.  Many medical studies have serious
flaws, but
even worse are the frequent overly grand conclusions that aren't
supported by the research itself.  I suppose that's one way to get a
little press, but it's irresponsible.  Meanwhile, many medical studies
also have very
significant and useful results, but it is often hard to separate the
wheat from the chafe.  I agree that there is _significant_ evidence of a
link between gluten sensitivity and schizophrenia.  It's simply too
obvious to ignore.
Cheers,  Steve
-------------
. . . your post about schizophrenia was well written and informative.
There is no science as valid as personal experience.  Someplace out there
is a test to easily determine gluten intolerence.  Perhaps your son will
be the
one to find it.  Susan, Columbus, OH
-------------
You tell it straight Valerie, I have a grand-son that has schizophrenia
and CD he was gf for two yrs then this uninformed (stupid) Gastro put him
on gluten for three days did a biospy and said no CD here this child (3
yrs old) vomited for mo lost 14 lbs in 6 wks and that Gastro  didn't want
to see him  by the time he was 12 he had schizophrenia  he's now gf and
he's 23yrs his son has CD and he's 5 yrs old , symptoms are different in
everyone no set ones I have two  other grandkids from my other youngest
daughter with mental illness.
  Now my 2 1/2 yr old great grandchild has been sick most of her life,
cries with stomach pains, leg aches, hardly eats or drinks, her tonsils
have been removed , last yr. the cD test come back with one high  one
doctor says celiac, the gastro says no.  Why can't the medical Assoc get
it together ?the tests can come back all normal and still there is celiac
I'm thankful I have celiac disease, there are worse ones,I'm thankful to
be on TPN Lily
--------------
 We both believe the same thing and just had different ways to express
it. . . .That study was very poor. It scares me that doctors are dropping
the panel in favor of the ttg.
        In my opinion gluten sensitivity describes the autoimmune reaction to
gluten. CD is gluten sensitivity when the gut is attacked. DH is gluten
sensitivity when the skin is attacked. Now we need some names for the
diseases when gluten attacks the central and peripheral nervous system,
the thyroid, the liver and on and on. I will never understand why we need
to wait for the gut to be damaged when the whole body is under seige..
        I tested through Dr. Fine and I think that he is right - if your gut is
forming antibodies to gluten, you are in trouble.   Anne
-------------
On this topic, although I have no one in the family with schizophrenia, I
have to say I agree with you. All my tests were negative too  years ago,
but I am still a celiac. My sons and grandchildren also have the gene
when tested at Dr. Fine's lab.
-----------
Testify!
Thanks for taking the time to post and to share your information
regarding the lousy science of that study. I let the poster know my
opinion that a sample size of 50 is not large enough to draw such a
conclusion, but your post to the list is far more useful.
By the way, is gluten his only trigger? We have not even challenged gf
yeast in many, many years, but that seemed to have the same effect as
gluten, even in microscopic amounts. We had a recent relapse which I
think was triggered by Hershey's chocolate syrup (hence high fructose
corn syrup, perhaps, and that was in the soft drinks he tried out at the
restaurant, too, which lead to meltdowns (eating out did - but don't know
if it was cross-contamination or the soft drinks).
I also have the definite impression that great anticipation snowballs
into an anxiety that is easily pushed overboard - i.e. maybe some
meltdowns would not evolve just from the food, but the combination of
food and some event results in disaster (as when he thought I might not
go to the movie with him, or, after the chocolate syrup, he was wound up
with excitement about his brother coming home after 5 weeks away at
college - he was so looking forward to a video game buddy being back that
he was about to burst - and he did burst when he discovered that I was
home (he thought I was already out getting him)...
Take Care.  Hilary
--------------
i couldn't agree with you more. all you have to do is type in "gluten,
schizophrenia" in google and you get dozens of articles confirming the
link between the two.   i am a celiac and was diagnosed as an adult, and
my aunt lived and died a schizophrenic... i seriously believe that had
our family known about celiac disease then, her life would've been much
different.  pinky
---------------
I agree.  The only REAL way to tell if a mental patient will benefit from
the GF diet is to have them TRY IT.  Most mentally ill patients are not
capable of initiating something as complicated as the GF diet on their
own.  But if mental facilities would put their patients on the diet in a
controlled environment & get them "detoxed", then they could work on
teaching them how to follow the diet on their own.  While my son was
still living at home, I was able to help him get started.  Now that he's
off on his own, he follows it more than 95% of the time.  As is very
typical for mental patients (and many others), they get "straitened out"
with medication or diet, then they feel so normal, they begin to deny
that they really need the treatment, so they stop it.  Soon, they are
sick again & have to start all over.  Many of them cycle in & out like
this for years before they finally accept reality and stick to their
treatment.  Unfortunately, some never accept reality & responsibility for
their behavior.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!