Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:58:29 -0500

Thanks to all for your advice. Obviously, I am not alone.
I have received over 50 e-mails in this short time of 24 hours since
posting.
Here is what you all said:

1. My RLS is caused by nuts, grain fed meats, dairy, pesticides...
I am continuing to learn of other allergens that affect me. Lately I have
search latex allergy which includes many fruits containing latex: Plums,
tomatoes, avocadoes, bananas, etc!

1.a. I found another page that is very informative. Lately, besides RLS, I
have had an extensive itchy rash on my back and neck. I have also been
eating vast quantities of plums! I have a latex allergy-when I use latex
bandaids I get a rash of tiny infected pimples.

http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/10/1625_50518?z=1625_50533_6508_00_17

2. Several recommended quinine.

3. prescption called Flexeril

4. Several recommeded calcium and magnesium supplements

5. Mega Vitamin B complex and rubbing Oragel on feet

6. Magnesium supplement called CALM

7. prescription called Miraplex

8. Many, many recommended taking iron supplements as well as folic acid.

9. 1 suggested taking zinc

10. Duke University is conducting a study to determine if Pramipexole
(experimental) will reduce the symptoms.  If you are interested and they
still have openings, call Kate Beck, RN at (919) 668-2278.

11. often the cause of restless leg in celiacs is Iron and/or folic acid
deficiency. A serum ferretin test will give you an accurate measure of iron
stores, it needs to be around 40-50 to control restless leg. The normal
range is 10-291 so you may test as normal but still be symptomatic of the
deficiency. The folic ac
id blood test is not useful for this condition in
most cases, supplementation with folic acid is safe in most cases however.
It usually takes a few weeks.

12. Low carb diet

13. Low sugar diet

14. when spasms strike, I get a towel soaked with hot water and wrap it
around his leg or foot- and this relieves the cramping usually within a
minute

15. Adding Potassium and salt supplements

16. accupunture

17. A couple of people suggested placing a bar of soap under the sheets.
Don't know why it works but say that is does.

18. Had the same while I was pregnate and nursing.  Recomend stretches.  Do
a "Standing push up" on a flat wall or the kitchen counter.  Lean just
enough to get a good stretch without pulling/burning/pain.  Do not bounce.
Hold for a ten count.  Repeat.  Helps to get more blood flow in the legs.

19. a hot foot bath just before bed helps; then after
drying, use footsox
scrunched down over the arch so the circulation is not affected around the
ankle

20. Prescription called Doxopen

21. Prescription called Konopin (warned that it may be very addictive)

22. excersise and heating pad

23. Maganese (not magnesium) supplement

24. epsom salt bath

25. Drink tonic water before bedtime

26. 2 baby asprin before bedtime

27. Prescription called Sinemet

Thank you to all who offered your help and support.

Stay GF
Pamela in MA