From:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:19:00 -0500

The original question:
What magazines with gluten-free recipes, cooking, etc. do you think are
good?

I've received 27 responses.

Six people like Living Without and an equal number recommended Gluten Free
Living.

Other recommendations: Cooking Light, Gourmet, Food and Wine and Sunset
Magazine - use substitutions as needed for all of these; Cooking for One
or Two (Reiman Publications); Scott Free; Gluten-freeda.com (3 responses
for this one); Cooking Gluten Free; Fine Cooking (Taunton Press); Carol
Fenster's Special Diet Selections; Roberg's GF Kitchen; look on google for
recipes; use old recipes with substitutions

Two quotes as below:

1)
You should also include good gf books with good info in them to share with
your fellow celiacs.  I highly recommend:

#1 - Wheat-Free, Worry Free by Dana Korn - excellent info on being a
celiac or gluten intolerant and excellent information on testing for
celiac disease.  The book has been reviewed by Dr. Peter Green, Director
of the Columbia Celiac Research Center and has his approval. Dana Korn has
a web site, but this book may also be ordered at www.amazon.com.

#2 - "The Gluten Free Diet:  A Comprehensive Guide by Shelley Case, R.D" -
this is the only book on the gf diet written by a dietitian and should be
owned by each and every celiac to understand where to find hidden gluten.
Shelley Case has a web site also where this book may be ordered.

2)
"I am a GF chef, gluten intolerant myself and I understand your plight.
Most cooking magazines Cooking Light, Gourmet, etc.) have many recipes
that are either GF naturally or can easily be adapted. A few
recommendations: in place of soy sauce use Braggs Liquid Aminos (available
at most health food or natural food stores -- it is GF and has less sodium
and tastes great, Authentic Foods makes a GF multi-grain blend that
already includes xanthan gum and can be used in place of all purpose
(wheat) flour, cup for cup. It is $8-10 for a 3 lb. bag, but considering
it is premixed and contains xanthan gum, its not too bad. You can get it
from www.authenticfoods.com, www.shopbydiet.com or
www.specialoadermarket.com. Check for the best $. Carol Fenster's Gluten
Free 101 cookbook has good recipes and her GF flour blends are very good.
Another website is www.mealsforyou.com go to their "advanced search" and
it allows you to select ingredients that you are avoiding, like gluten,
dairy, etc. and they give you free recipes that meet your special needs.
www.glutenfreeda.com is a paid gourmet GF cooking site. They use dairy in
most recipes but many are very good.  Australia has a gourmet cooking
magazine called Delicious. I occasionally find issues at Borders. They
have interesting and great recipes and label recipes that are gluten-free.
If you are looking for a specific recipe email me, I have a many. Good
Luck."

I was surprised no one mentioned the Bette Hagman cookbooks.  We've used
them primarily for bread recipes and found them good with a lot of useful
information.

Another magazine we like is "Eating Well" (eatingwell.com).  We've also
used substitutions for recipes we already had and liked.

Thanks to all of you who responded.  We now have a lot of ideas for future
recipes.

Mary Jane

--
 MJ Thomas
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!