From:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lacustral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:32:00 -0500

I didn't hear a lot about desensitizing - one person said some of the
alternative medicine people do desensitizing for all sorts of food
intolerances *except* gluten - apparently, giving a tiny dose every few
days and gradually increasing.  This is kind of what i've heard of people
doing for themselves.  I've been driven up the wall by things like
reacting to corn starch in medication without realizing it.

One person told me that her husband had these severe reactions to gluten
accidents for 3 years after being gluten-free, then they went away.  if
this is generally true it is really a nice thing to look forward to.

My reaction to corn might actually be the same thing as my reaction to
gluten.  The only grains I was eating a lot were wheat and oats, but I
reacted to rice, millet, lemongrass tea, etc. which I hardly ever ate,
which suggests I might have made some kind of antibody to gluten grains
which also cross-reacts to other grains.  People's bodies aren't necessarily
uniform in what their anti-gluten antibodies look like.

Whether trace amounts of gluten, like the amount you would get in wheat
starch, cause any damage to celiacs, I don't remember.  Like I said, it
could be that eating trace amounts might actually be helpful in preventing
people from getting these awful reactions to tiny quantities.  I think I
may have read that wheat starch did not cause intestinal damage for
celiacs - not enuf gluten.  However this is obviously a personal choice,
I'm not advocating doing this, just saying that there isn't enough
evidence to say for sure that it's unhealthy.

I got a whole lot of comments about side issues.  I looked into
anti-inflammatory diet etc. a whole lot months ago, and put my conclusions
at http://www.lightlink.com/lark/why.html

By the way, my "hypoglycemia", my jittery reactions, anxiety from
high-glycemic carbs, has gotten way better on a lowfat highcarb diet.
I can kind of eat honey now, whereas months ago a few blueberries gave me
an anxiety attack.
I bet that "hypoglycemia", i.e. carbohydrate intolerance, is related
to gluten intolerance.  People just don't understand how, yet.

The "candida connection" stuff is terribly unsubstantiated - there is NO
research by those people in Medline that I know of.  The ONLY reputable
medical research really supporting an allergy/candida connection I know of
is what I mentioned - this guy Huffnagle at the Univ. Michigan who found
that candida overgrowth in mice made their allergies worse.  He did NOT
advocate a low-carbohydrate diet to control Candida, instead he said
fruits and vegetables have anti-yeast compounds, so eat them;
that saturated fat encourages Candida; that COX-2 inhibitors reduce
Candida's production of prostaglandins that make allergies worse.  I
believe enough in keeping Candida down to take caprylic acid; but no
more.  There is just no justification for eating a heart-unhealthy
low-carbohydrate diet "to keep the Candida down".  Anyways it is totally a
side issue and please, no email about it.