From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:46:24 -0700

Thank you for all of your responses.

Several people recommended using Velveeta. One person melts it down with
milk and another cheese. Another person also adds butter and pepper and adds
it to cooked pasta (Bionature, Schar and Tinkyada most recommended ones) in
a casserole dish and bakes 350 degrees 25-30 min. For those who want
specific amounts the following is recommended by one person:

1 1/2 to 2 bags of pasta,
2lbs Velveeta cheese, almost 2 cups of milk, a small chunk of butter(maybe 2
or 3 tblsps), sprinkle of pepper.
----------------
One person uses the boxed mix from Kraft and discards the pasta.
-----------------
In the interest of saving time, I am going to copy some of the responses
here:

There's a great one (but fattening) in Jax Lowell's Against the Grain.
--------------------------

Macaroni & Cheese

2 cups raw gf macaroni (penne)
4 cups milk
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt & pepper to taste
4 Tbsp cream cheese - cut in small cubes

Layer the above and don't stir.  Bake at 350 until done.  Don't overbake
-----------------------

"Cafeteria Style Macaroni and Cheese", a recipe found on the net using
google search.
---------------------
Kraft sauce mix on Tinkyada rice pasta
----------------------
NottaPasta.com there is a mac & cheese recipe I always use

---------------------
"old family recipe", somewhat updated (my mother never put any
vegetables or seasoning in it--just the pasta, butter, and cheeses). It's
a bit different from the standard macaroni in cheese sauce, and I think
it's considerably better. The proportions are all fairly loose. It's
_very_ rich.

Pasta and Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 -375 F.

Cook until just al dente, 2 oz pasta per person. If using spaghetti,
break into half lengths prior to cooking. Drain pasta.

Chop 1 onion, saute until golden in butter or olive oil. If desired, chop
some garlic and one or more chillis or banana peppers, add to pan after
onion is golden and continue to saute. Also if desired, slice about a
half cup fresh mushrooms, add to pan after onion is golden and continue
to saute until nicely browned.

For each person, grate 1 to 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese. Other cheeses may
be used as desired, and more is better than less. Have on hand about an
ounce of cream cheese per person, cut into small chunks.

Grease well with butter a casserole of an appropriate size. Start
layering in casserole--a thin layer of pasta, layer of sauteed veg, layer
of grated cheese and a few chunks of cream cheese, sprinkle with black
pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg (very small amount of nutmeg). Keep layering,
holding back some cheese and ending with a layer of pasta. Put the last
of the cheese, including some cream cheese, on top of the last pasta
layer. If desired, top with sliced tomato and/or grated romano along with
the other cheeses. Dot with butter.

Put uncovered casserole in oven. Bake about 40 minutes, until top layer
of cheese is melty and top cream cheese chunks are golden brown and
butter in casserole is bubbly.

Serve piping hot.
--------------------------

I buy GF pasta shells from erer-g.com and I use Ragu brand (from my regular
grocery store) cheese sauce and my 2 yr old CD child loves it!

I just make a white sauce, add cheese and macaroni (cooked) and bake in
the oven till bubbly.

I received a long recipe from The American Test Kitchen recipes which may be
from a book so if you'd like a copy of it, please let me know and I'll send
it to you.

Happy eating.

Sue