From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:54:53 -0700

Following are the responses that I received for my request for left over
turkey recipes:

I take whatever turkey I have left and shred or cut it into bite size
pieces.  If you have leftover gravy, you can put it in a saucepan and add
some water, add the turkey, chopped celery, chopped onion, peeled and sliced
carrot, and simmer.  (If you do not have gravy from your turkey dinner, then
use chicken broth or water with chicken boullion added to simmer your turkey
and vegetables.)

While the turkey and veggies are simmering, make up some homemade noodles
from Betty Hagman's pasta base mix.  It is very easy.  You make up the mix
and store it in a glass jar and then when you want noodles, you just dip out
the correct amount of mix and add an egg and a bit of oil.  Mix well and
dump out onto a floured board.  Roll out the dough and cut into whatever
size noodles you want and drop into the hot simmering turkey and veggie
mixture.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

You have a wonderful turkey and noodle dinner.  You can make this ahead of
time and store in a glass or corning baking dish and just pop in the oven
for dinner the next day.

Another thing that I do with leftover turkey is to shred/cut up the turkey
into bite size pieces.  Peel and cut up potatoes and carrots in bite size
pieces as well.  Put the turkey, potatoes, carrot, chopped celery, and onion
in a saucepan with the leftover gravy or chicken broth and simmer.  Salt and
pepper to taste.  You may need to thicken the broth/gravy mixture with
cornstarch so the liquid is thick like gravy.  Pour the mixture into a
casserole dish and top with Betty Hagman's Bisquick mix. It is another mix
that I keep in a glass jar, but I
store it in the fridge.  Then when you want biscuits, you just add the wet
ingredients and stir and drop on a cookie sheet or in this case, on top of
the turkey mixture.  Bake until the biscuits are done.
--------------------

I use my favorite chicken stir-fry recipe and substitute the leftover cooked
turkey.
------------------

Make tacos. Heat your corn tortillas 10 at a time in mircrowave oven. Put
turkey pieces in center, roll up. Place together so they stay rolled. Fry
brown for crispy tacos or steam in foil on the stove with a a little water
under them, tacos on a slotted metal piece to keep them out of water, like a
vegetable steamer. Serve with salsa, guacamole ceam/plain yogurt.
-----------------

I make turkey tetrazzini using a regular cookbook recipe, substituting rice
pasta for the spaghetti and using rice flour instead of regular flour in the
base for the cream sauce.
----------------
I also make turkey soup using Jane Brody's Turkey Carcass Soup recipe from
her Good Food cookbook.  Again, substituting rice flour for regular flour
where called for, and using rice instead of barley in the soup.
------------------
GARDEN TURKEY SOUP

1 1/4  lbs turkey boney pieces with 2 qts water, 1 tsp Mrs Dash, 1 tsp salt.
I have used just turkey breast bones after cutting off most of the meat.
Simmer this for 2 hrs. Cool & remove meat.
In stock pot combine 6-8 c turkey broth from above - I have added chicken
broth if not enough, 1 small peeled chopped rutabego, 3 peeled chopped
potatoes, 2 peeled & grated carrots, 1/2 c rice, 1 c. sliced mushrooms
optional.
Add 1/4 tsp Mrs Dash. Cook 15 min. while chopping 1/2 bunch green onions
(tops, too) and add 1/2 tsp pepper & 1/2 tsp basil. Cook until rice &
vegetables are done. Then add 1/3 lb spinach (I use frozen). Add turkey meat
- about 2 c. Taste before adding wine. I have never used the wine but 1/4-1
c is suggested.

Sue