VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:43:45 -0800
Kelly,

  I'm no expert on the biological effects of electromagnetic fields, but
I've long been aware that the manufacturers of walkie-talkies, cordless
microphones, and all their successors, such as cellular telephones, have
been reluctant to consider the health effects of their products.  Others
have carried out some investigations in this field, but the results seem to
be rather anecdotal instead of conclusive.

  One clear fact is that microwave ovens operate on the resonant frequency
of the water molecule.  So we should not expose ourselves to radiation of
that frequency, about 2450 megahertz.  If there are similar resonances in
other biological molecules on other frequencies, we should avoid exposure to
those frequencies, too.

  While high-voltage power lines certainly radiate strong electromagnetic
fields, their frequency is 0.000060 megahertz, which is probably not close
to any biological molecule's resonant frequency.  Much worse must be the
electromagnetic fields produced by the coils wrapped around the necks of TV
picture tubes, which produce strong magnetic fields for deflecting the
electron beams from left to right and then quickly back again as well as
slowly down the screen and then rapidly back to the top.  The left-to-right
deflection takes place nearly 16,000 times a second, and the most
significant effect of this magnetic field on TV viewers probably comes from
the very rapid return from the right edge to the left edge of the screen
16,000 times a second because it's changes in magnetic fields that induce
electric currents to flow in conductive media such as bodily organs, nerves,
and blood vessels.  These currents can perhaps cause physical damage.
Certainly TV watching often causes mental damage.

  There used to be a fear of the x-rays produced by the picture tube's
electron beams' striking the screen at the front of the tube.  But, now that
the front face of the tube is usually made of lead glass, the x-rays are
presumably adequately attenuated before they hit the viewers.

Nelson Blachman
Oakland, Calif.