VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Hoad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Hoad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:54:41 -0500
posting from Orono Maine;
Steve Hoad

Hi Dan and All!

In your last message, Dan, you made the following statement,
"My main point was that over the years, unemployment has remained
relatively constant but the number of people in the US has grown and the
types of jobs have changed.  That can only mean that there are more jobs
than there were thirty years ago and many people have made the
transition
from the previous types of jobs to the new jobs."
And, my main point is that the "new types of jobs" really are not as good as
the old ones.  Poverty is increasing while unemployment stays stable, people
are having to work more than one job and more hours per week and poverty is
still increasing.

We've got to look at our system in relation to the world system and make
sure to "promote the general welfare" of the folks in our country.

Corporate reform and tighter controls are two suggestions many have
proposed.  I look more toward moving the system toward a place where
corporations do not have individual rights and personal responsibility of
executives begins to be considered once again.

In the 1890s and before, there were railroad and steel tycoons who really
ruled our country.  We must look at that history and remember so we don't
have the same sorts of things happening again.  Many poor people were killed
in strikes and labor strife because tycoons thought they were right.

Steve Hoad