VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:30:51 -0500
Hello Fellow Listers:

While I have my computer set to automatically download all critical
microsoft windows updates, today I decided to check on what optional
(non-critical) updates might be available for my computer. Glad I did. There
are two software updates of which folks should be aware; one of them, while
not now being critical, may (and in my opinion, should) be classified as a
"critical" update, certainly after March 11, 2007. I'm referring to
KB928388, a windows XP patch which amends the dates on which the computer
clock will automatically adjust for daylight savings time. Beginning in
2007, daylight savings time begins at 2:00 A.M. on the second sunday in
march, and ends on the first sunday in november. (The note on this update
seemed to indicate that other countries are also following this new
protocol. I know for a fact that, courtesy of legislation passed on August
8, 2005, the United states has adopted the aforementioned dates.)

The second update, KB929120, takes account of the fact that, beginning in
either december of 2006 or 2007 (I forget which now), western australia will
observe daylight savings time, and this patch facilitates a correct
rendering of western australia time. This is probably of greatest interest
to folks in western australia; however, if you're using any microsoft
program to determine world time, I think you'd want to have installed this
patch.

Take care!

John

    Send comments on list operation to