VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:14:25 -0700
To add to the discussion:

Another reason we are spending more and more time on the web is that we are
being forced, sometimes against our will.  by Increasing numbers of
retailers, financial services, utilities and businesses who are shutting
down, or reducing their telephone based and storefront customer services.
Just in the past couple of months I've been told by one service that I could
only change my customer profile with them or end my association with them
on-line; I've tried to buy something from a bricks and mortar office supply
house just to be told that I can't buy much of their stock that way anymore,
they actually ordered it for me on-line though I was standing right there in
the store.  Vendors are doing this to transfer the cost in time and
personnel spent in traditional face to face or live telephone customer
support to us by forcing us to use the on-line systems and support
ourselves.  So it is a bit unfair to on the one hand, force us to use the
web in ever increasing amounts, and then turn around and say, "people are
becoming addicted to the web".

One other point:  There seems to be a tendency to label obsessive compulsive
disorder by the obsession or compulsion.  That is, instead of being called
obsessive/compulsive, a person is labeled "addicted to TV" or "addicted to
the web."  Any behavior taken to extreme excess which begins to interfere
with normal human interactions is obsessive/compulsion.  That said, I really
get tired of hearing that "gambling" or "chat rooms" or what ever my tastes
might lead me to is inherently bad.  Only obsession about these things is
bad, other than that, it is just moralizing which we as a nation have become
awfully willing to do.  I think perhaps there may be soon coined an illness
called "addiction to moralizing."   how about that eh?

Bill