VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Claude Everett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Claude Everett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2006 12:00:33 -0700
This is a cool music site, however it's features, and registration are
inaccessible.
	Q: What is Pandora?

Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you find and enjoy
music that you'll love. It's powered by the
Music Genome Project
, the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken. Just tell us one
of your favorite songs or artists and we'll launch a streaming station to
explore
that part of the music universe.

Q: How do you decide what to play?

We take your input (artists, songs) and feedback ("I like this", "I don't
like this") and use the
Music Genome Project
 to create stations that play songs that are musically similar to what
you've told us. That's it; only the music counts. We don't care how popular
the artist
is, who's backing them, and we don't care which genre bin they usually
belong in. Only the music matters.

Q: How much does it cost?

Pandora is available in two forms. Both versions have exactly the same
features.

The first form is an advertising-supported version which is entirely free.
Over time we'll be incorporating ads into this version of Pandora.

For those who want to steer clear of advertising, subscriptions are
available in two different flavors:

    ANNUAL: 12 months of unlimited use for $36
    QUARTERLY: 3 months of unlimited use for $12

Q: Why do you need to know my age?

Under the terms of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (

), we're required to verify that all Pandora users are at least 13 years of
age.

Q: Why do you need to know my zip code?

At this time we are only licensed to offer Pandora music services to
residents of the United States. Audio streaming regulations differ from
country to
country, and we are working on acquiring the proper licenses so we can
legally offer Pandora outside of the United States. We require your zip code
confirm that you are a resident of the United States.

Q: Why do you need to know my email address?

We only use your email address as an account name to make it easier for you
to remember your login when you return to the site. We'll never send you
unsolicited
email and we'll never share your email address with another company without
your explicit consent. See our
privacy policy
 for the details.

Q: How many stations can I maintain?

You can have up to 100 stations at any one time. Once you reach the maximum
number of stations, you have to delete a station before you can add another
one.

Q: What does the "Guide Us" button do?

The "Guide Us" button is your connection to the
Music Genome Project
. Click "Guide Us" at any time and tell us what you want. We'll take your
input and immediately update your station to reflect your preferences.

Q: When I give song feedback ("I really like this", "I don't like this")
what happens?

The playlist that drives your station is immediately changed to take into
account your preferences. The songs that play from that point on will change
reflect what you've told us about your musical tastes. This feedback will
only affect your current station.

Q: How do I tune my Pandora stations? What happens when I give a thumbs
up/down? How do I control the variety of music that plays on my station?

The answers to all of these questions lie in the Pandora "Rules of Thumbs"

* "Thumbs Up" makes that song and songs that sound like that song play more
often
* "Thumbs Down" bans that song from that station, and makes songs that sound
like that song play less often
* Adding a song with "Add more music to a station" expands a station
* Adding an artist with "Add more music to a station" expands a station a
lot
* You can view or modify your station using "Edit this station"

To "Add more music" to a station click on the small triangle next to the
station name. From there you can add either songs or artists to the station.

Adding a song to a station will expand the range of music played on that
station. How much expansion depends on how different the newly added song is
from
the rest of the songs and artists that define that station. The more songs
you add, the greater the variety can be. However more songs also means you
will
need to listen longer before you hear everything the station has to offer.
Typically adding one song adds over a hundred songs to the station. If you
want
a well controlled station, I recommend you add 3 to 5 songs and then listen
for a while before adding any more.

Adding an artist name to a station, (rather than a song name), will expand
the music much more than adding a song. Pandora will try to cover the entire
range of music of the chosen artist. It's usually broader than selecting
individual songs. Adding an artist can add several hundred songs to a
station.
Some artists have broader ranges than others. Some will surprise you. For
example, Lynryd Skynyrd's classic "Tuesday's Gone" as performed by
Metallica.
If you like surprises, make a station using a few artist names as input.

"Thumbs Up" is available by clicking on the album art of any displayed song.
Giving a song a Thumbs Up will cause Pandora to play that song, and songs
that
sound like it more frequently. It doesn't take many Thumbs Up to move a
station towards a particular sound you like. You can give Thumbs Up to songs
that
are very different from each other. If you do this enough, you can expand
your station in several different directions.

"Thumbs Down" is available by clicking on the song album art. Giving a song
a Thumbs Down will cause Pandora to ban that song from that station. Give
two
Thumbs Down to songs by a particular artist and that artist is banned from
that station. Songs that sound like the Thumbs Down song will play less
often.
Thumbs Down are particularly powerful on stations defined by song names,
rather than artist names. It shouldn't take many to help tune your station.

Occasionally you may find you liked your station better before you changed
it. No worries. You can click on the triangle next to the station name and
select
"Edit this station". From there you can view and change all the inputs you
gave.

Keep in mind, we are adding lots of music to the Pandora library every day.
Your stations will evolve all by themselves.

Q: Can I edit the feedback I've entered for a station?

To review and edit the feedback you've given on a station, just click the
triangle next to the station name and select "Edit this Station". You'll be
able
to see all of the "Thumbs Up" and "Thumbs Down" feedback you've given us, as
well as any songs or artists that you added with the "Add more kinds of
music"
feature. If you've changed your mind, you can remove feedback from the
station by clicking the "remove" button next to the song or artist you'd
like to
remove.

Q: Can you help me keep a list of the songs that I discover on Pandora?

Any time you hear a song that you really like, just click on the album art
and select "Bookmark this Song". This will add the song to your Pandora
profile
page. You can use your profile page to later buy tracks and albums or to get