From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:49:39 -0700
On Sunday, Apr 10, 2005, at 11:51 US/Pacific, Ilana King wrote:

> I have been unsuccesful in making my own mayo as suggested in the
> Paleo DIet book and was wondering what everyone thought of the
> Hellmans Mayo.  I have been on Paleo eating for one week and have so
> far just made my own salad dressings from oils and garlic and this has
> been fine, but I plan to have tuna fish tomorow (I know this is not
> strictly paleo either) and want mayo with it.  I checked the
> ingredients and the primary ones seem fine (oil, water, egg).  The
> main problem seems to be that it has a bit of vinager and sugar in it.
>  I know it is a processed food, but does anyone else eat it?  I have
> cut dairy, but am finding living without mayo hard.
>
> ILana

For me, the sugar would be a deal-breaker anyway, but more important is
the type of oil and the care with which it has been handled. I won't
eat soy or canola, and I don't trust them not to have heated the oil
they do use. I'm wondering what your difficulty was with making your
own. It's not that hard, but a bit energy- and time-consuming, at least
compared to opening a jar.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!